Bullet choices

I've run into the same problem with my 300wm and the 215s. Thought it might be the brass so I got new Hornady and loaded up a H1000 with 180gr Nosler B Tips to fire form. Under half an inch and repeatable.

So next step is 190 Nosler CC and 208 ELD's just to see if my barrel just didn't like the Bergers.

Being I'm new to the round I'll admit I was scratching my @$$ trying to figure out what was going on! I'm far from new to loading but 90% of my loading has been on 308 case size rounds. I had new brass and just went to work like normal just a little leery being I'm dumping a whole lot more powder off in this case lol thought at first it was just the brass, shot and neck sized and next trip out same effects, I even went as far as annealing and turning the necks just to clean them up a touch, seating depth changes, powder charge changes blah blah and was about to the point of unscrewing the barrel then thought I better try something else just in case..... glad I did!

This chamber the OAL with the 215 Berger's I'm at 3.740" touching the lands so I'm pretty sure I'll have to stick with the 210+ bullet weights more than likely a 220 will probably be about the ticket as this rifle is just to get me to a distance goal I have set and the pilot of this rifle (me) is going to need as much help as he can get! so mainly looking toward BC and a short bearing surface to keep the speed up. I've ran into this problem before but as much good as I've heard about the bullet was enough for me to chamber this rifle specifically for that bullet, if I'd have only known what I do now lol

I'll try and keep up with my results and pass them on just in case I'm not the only one out there with a picky barrel.

Kirk

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.