.264 Win Mag vs. 7mm Mag

Nomo, I agree that for elk these bullets will not be the best. Nor will that range be appropriate for anything larger than deer with these calibers. Some may argue that and thats ok. I am speaking for myself and my imposed limits. The 30 caliber is certainly better for elk and 338 even better yet. I just did not understand if judging apples to apples how there could be that much difference at a grand. So I ran the numbers and listed my results. 7.4 inches at 1K is less than 3/4 MOA. However, that being said you are right. The .264 has an edge even though its small it is still noteworthy.

I would like to mention to LTLR that my post was not intended to "call you out." I was just hoping to learn as you have a wealth of knowledge that many could benefit from including myself.

Firecat, thanks for the info. The difference between your info and mine is in my rifles there is on average about 125 fps difference between the two rifles with 140 and 168 grain loads instead of 50 fps as you used. Also my input is both rifles zeroed 2.5" high at 100 yards which is a typical zero for me. If you use these you will match my data pretty close. I coppied the numbers I used straight off JBM. Energy is virtually irrelavent since Berger bullets are compared here. For energy figures to have an impact target bullets that fragment can not be included. High quality premium hunting bullets that retain most of there weight to use the energy to drive through animals is the key to energy. When a bullet fragments energy figures go out the window.

I have both and shoot both and could care less which one shows the best numbers. I could take either and kill anything I wanted. I was just showing the figures right off JBM from the data I entered.

Another thing that I was bringing to light is with quality premium hunting bullets for large big game the 7mm really starts falling off because of the poor BC numbers in premium bullets when compared to some other calibers. I have quite a few 7mm's and love to hunt with them. I keep them in situations where I get the most out of there performance. But any way you slice it the 7mm's are not as good a choice for long range shooting at large big game animals because of the poor BC numbers with premium hunting bullets needed for this application. You can go up to 30 caliber and get a 200 grain accubond with a .588 BC. In 264 you can get a swift scirroco at .571 BC. There are other calibers as you go up and down that can give you an edge with premium hunting bullets. 7mm is just not one of those calibers though unless you use the berger bullets. I do not use the bergers for large big game because I don't always use the high shoulder shot because it isn't always available. Bullets that have a history of fragmenting are not a good choice for driving through animals with other shot angles beside broadside.

LTLR, thanks for the info. I appreciate you being open enough to discuss it. I can see many of the points that you have made. I would agree as I see some of the 7mm's bc taper off in premium bullets. The Accubond 160 is about the best choice available at this point. It has a BC of .531which is good but not great. I wish that they made a scirocco in a 160 or even 165 for the 7mm. I think that would be beneficial for the 7mm crowd at longer ranges.

I went back and looked at some of my data. My 264 winchesters shoot easily into the 3200's fps with a 140 grain bullet. My 7mm remingtons top out around 3050 fps with the 168 grain. Basically same BC so put in a 2.5" high at 100 yard zero and there is the difference between the JBM posted and the JBM I got. Both rifles are good for caribou/deer/antelope size animals and the 264 winchester has better ballistics by quite a bit. When you go to a good quality elk bullet the 264 winchester holds a substantial edge over the 7mm remington. Both will kill about anything you care to shoot at under the right circumstances. But considering long range shooting the 264 winchester will outperform the 7mm remington according to JBM.

That is why I have said on here many times to look at the 6.5 STW for a long range terror on deer and antelope. Mine shoots the 140 Berger at over 3400 fps and the 130 scirroco at 3550 fps. And I can do that without a muzzle brake. The 6.5's should always be given serious consideration when you are looking at long range shooting at deer/antelope size critters. I took my STW to Alaska and it was sheer terror on long range caribou. Quite a bit of fun on the tundra with a gun offering those kind of ballistics.

The 7mm gets touted as a long range performer because of the 168 and 180 berger along with the 162 amax bullets primarily. These will work on deer size animals and most of the time you will be fine. They work on elk size game if you have a broad side shot and can make the high shoulder shot. Also if you miss the shoulder entirely and double lung him you may get him. However a bullet that is known to fragment is not a good choice for elk size game because it limits you to those shots for a reliable kill. I like a bullet I can drive through from any angle because I do not like to limit myself. Energy figures quoted using berger bullets are worthless because for energy figures to be accurate the bullet must retain it's integrity and weight. Premium hunting bullets do this but the bergers do not. The ballistic formulas do not take this into consideration since they are based on formulas assuming all bullets are the same. When you go to a top quality premium hunting bullet the 7mm is no longer a good long range choice because of the poor BC's when compared to some other calibers.

Back in the 70's many of us used the 175 SGK with about a .560 BC. To get enough velocity behind it to make it a viable long range hunting option we necked down the 300 wby case and 8mm rem mag case. The little 7mm remington was not big enough to make the big hunting bullets a good option for long range hunting up to 1000 yards. I am not on here to step on the toes of the 7mm rem mag shooters but in my opinion it is not a good long range hunting cartridge for anything other than deer size game for most shooters. I think now we have to many young hunters that have grown up in the age of tv marketing watching long range shots on elk size game with perfect high shoulder shots. It is kinda like all tv, now for the rest of the story.

Yes, they will work in their application with the perfect shot. I know from 35 years of elk hunting things are rarely perfect. In my opinion if your going elk hunting then please get an elk rifle. I have seen untold numbers of elk lost in particular to the 7mm remington and similar cartridges because they were using the wrong bullets for it and/or took a bad angle shot this cartridge will not perform. Will they kill an elk, yes. Will there be a high number of lost animals in these situations, yes. Where if they were equiped with the proper bullet and waited for the shot that best suited their cartridge choice they would have high success.

LTLR
That is a very good assessment of the 7 mag thank you.
I never jumped on the wagon with the 7 mag because the fps on it is not much more than the 7x57. But I do have 2 264 mags and also the 7mag
but when deer hunting I always take the 264 with 100 grain ballistic tips
they have never failed me all deer have been DRT every time.
Another favorite caliber is my 6.5 rem mag in 26 inch barrel it runs right along side the 264 mag.

Ironworker, I agree you have a good rifle. I like my WSM's also. But in what respect does it put a 264 winchester to shame. Either will kill about anything that walks with the right bullets.

I smell T.R.O.U.B.L.E. Especially considering that the 7mm Rem Mag will do everything that a WSM will do a little faster. I believe that it is safe to say that the problem we have been discussing is not limited to just the 7mm Rem Mag. It would be related to anything smaller than a 7mm-300 win mag or 7mm STW. The fact is that heavier bullets, faster are what is needed. That being said the 7's are still a very viable option realizing their capacity. It all falls within the limits of the shooter and application.

Last edited:
Your right they both kill. But your 264 has to be loaded hot to get 3200 out of a 140 gr bullet. Mine was a stock Mod 70 Classic in 270 WSM and it shot very poorly. It was good for 3 to 5 shots and then started to nearly throw the rest. I was so disgusted regretted buying a Win Mod 70. But then I decided to order a BRUX 7mm bbl 9" twist 26" length. It shoots like a lazer . 69grs of Re#19 produces 3300 fps 139gr Hornady SST under 1/2" MOA . 70grs of Re#25 produce 3200 fps with 160 gr Sierra GK and similar accuracy. This is with a #4 contour BBL.

I have to agree with iron worker
with
100 grain
120 grain
140 grain
160 grain bullets
The 7 mag beats the 264 in the fps department in each weight

Last edited:
In terms of energy, there is a shock value that Berger type bullets do indeed benefit from. I completely agree that energy is critical for penetration of traditional bullets and is an asset in this form. However, bullets that have complete penetration do in fact loose out in the energy game. This because a measurable amount of energy transfer(inertia) is lost when the bullet exits the animal. This is where a bullet that does not leave the animal will gain some ground because there is a complete transfer of energy, inertia or shock. Or in other words all of the energy of the bullet translates to inertia or shock to the animals nervous system and soft tissues. We must realize this in context however. This is where you will find Barnes Bullets and Berger Bullets on complete opposite ends of the spectrum. A certain balance is critical to bullet success in each application.

I agree with Iron worker in the fact that in each bullet weight that the 7mm will out perform the 264 in terms of velocity. In fact I would venture to say that out to 700 yards that the 7mm will out perform the 264 in each area. However, past the 700 yard mark the 264 will really come into its own. With the current bullets available.