.264 Win Mag: Any downside with starting with a bone-stock Rem Sendero?

Buy a current production Model 70. Best deal going in a 264 Win Mag. I picked one up shortly after the Model 70 was re-introduced in 264 Win Mag. I am very happy with it.
I also have a post '64 (about 6 years ago purchased). Not many rounds thru it yet, but working on it.

I'm a big 264 fan I've owned 3 of them and I owned a sendero sf2 in 264 win mag. Still have the stock and action. It now wears a Brux 1-8 twist. The problem with factory Remingtons, Winchester's and Rugers chambered in 264 is they're all 1-9 twist. Mine shot ok but I wanted more. So I sent it to Score high Gunsmithing and had them blueprint the action and put the Brux on it. It shoots 140 Berger's-143 ELDX's between 3270-3300fps and is very accurate. Not much of anything I throw at it shoots over .5-.75 moa. Most are sub .5 moa. Barrel has around 700 rounds through it and is still going strong. I've had two of my buddies try to buy it off of me multiple times.

When making a decision on twist rate keep in mind Bartlein 5 r 1-7.5 twist is easier on jacketed bullets than a 1-7.5 with 6groove button rifling , example I built a 1-7.5 twist Bartlein cut rifling 6.5Prc and a 1-8 button rifling Proof 6.5 Prc . I have no worries shooting cup and core or monos up to the 131 gr Hammers in the1-7.5 Twist , the 1-7 would be pushing the limitations on cup and core regardless of the types of rifling. I personally would send your action too Bartlein and have them barrel it with a 1-7.5 twist 5r cut barrel 26 in , it will be a wait but well worth it, talk too Mark.
Proof has single point cut rifled barrels. Not button rifled.

Depending on your component choices, you can have a semi-custom for the price of an R700 Sendero.
Open to any suggestions...
I built my .264 WM in 2020 with the following:

Savage 111 LA accutrigger = $350
X-caliber pre-fit 26" 1:7" 5R threaded = $450 (muzzle threading is optional)
MBM beast brake self-timing = $130 (optional)
20 MOA rail = $50 (optional)
.250" Recoil lug = $50
Stock = $150-200
Bolt fluting = $65 (optional)

I have a Choate sniper stock and B&C with DBM; both are under $200.

I built my .264 WM in 2020 with the following:

Savage 111 LA accutrigger = $350
X-caliber pre-fit 26" 1:7" 5R threaded = $450 (muzzle threading is optional)
MBM beast brake self-timing = $130 (optional)
20 MOA rail = $50 (optional)
.250" Recoil lug = $50
Stock = $150-200
Bolt fluting = $65 (optional)

I have a Choate sniper stock and B&C with DBM; both are under $200.
Very helpful. Thanks!

I'm a big 264 fan I've owned 3 of them and I owned a sendero sf2 in 264 win mag. Still have the stock and action. It now wears a Brux 1-8 twist. The problem with factory Remingtons, Winchester's and Rugers chambered in 264 is they're all 1-9 twist. Mine shot ok but I wanted more. So I sent it to Score high Gunsmithing and had them blueprint the action and put the Brux on it. It shoots 140 Berger's-143 ELDX's between 3270-3300fps and is very accurate. Not much of anything I throw at it shoots over .5-.75 moa. Most are sub .5 moa. Barrel has around 700 rounds through it and is still going strong. I've had two of my buddies try to buy it off of me multiple times.
This is absolutely correct. The 9 twist in factory rifles is a definite disadvantage. The question is: How much of a disadvantage? The answer depends largely on intended use for the rifle.

The latest and greatest bullets are certainly out of the question, but some very good bullets are still in play. The factory 9 twist will stabilize bullets up to the Hornady 140 AMAX/ELD's, Sierra 142 MatchKing, and Berger 140 HVLD in most conditions (freezing conditions at sea level may require bullets with a shorter overall length). At higher altitudes in the mountain west, even the Berger 144 Hybrid will work. In a 26" barrel, the accuracy node for these bullets appears around 3150 fps, using Retumbo.

These bullets make the .264 Win Mag ideal for Mule Deer, Pronghorn, and Coyote in open country. If the intent is to use it for heavier game (such as Elk), or in tighter terrain, go with 140 Nosler Partitions. Though less ballistically efficient and decidedly less sexy, they will give you the terminal performance you need in situations where the bullet is more stressed at impact.

Because the .264 Win Mag is easy and fun to shoot, it begs to be shot a lot. Failure to resist temptation will lead to a replacement barrel, at which time the shooter will definitely want to upgrade to a faster twist.

It is true that a .264 Win Mag custom build, with a 7.5 or 8 twist will give the shooter access to the best bullets available. It is also true that the factory 9 twist is a handicap, but the handicap is not huge.

Having just discovered the utility of the .264 Win Mag, I can't see the need for me to either:

- spend $2k+ for a Win M70 pre-64
- build a LR custom rig

When I can grab a new Sendero and spend the saved money on getting my handloading gear.

Am I wrong?

Any other input welcome.

As beautiful as the pre-64 is, it's still a 70 y/o rifle and a 264 WM is not not a barrel friend caliber. If you're opposed to modifying a pre-64 (ie re-barreling) and want a shooter more than a wall hanger, I'd steer clear of buying a pre-64 in a 264 WM.

Id be looking to buy new"er" in that caliber. Something like a Sendero would be a nice buy. Factory twist rate is typically slower than what you need to run the heavier high BC bullets. That twist is gonna dictate your bullet choice.

Great caliber. Especially if it's setup to run the heavier bullets (ie 150+gn).

Personally, I'd build it the way I want it. Factory guns alway seem to leave much to be desired in the twist rate department.

Build with a 1:7:5t for the 156's