.264 Win Mag: Any downside with starting with a bone-stock Rem Sendero?

Like anything else in life, you have to start somewhere. If nothing else, you will have a donor to build from if it the factory rifle doesn't live up to your expectations. Barrels are perishable. Track down as many Berger 130g AR hybrid OTM tactical bullets as you can afford. This bullet is my preferred 1-9 twist 6.5mm bullet. If it won't shoot this bullet it just won't shoot. Yes it is absolutely an excellent hunting bullet. Easiest bullet to find a load Ive ever worked with, basically insensitive to seating depth changes. In a 26" 264WIN you can expect to get to 3180 to 3200 f/s safely with several powders. Retumbo, Norma 217, R26 among others are all good places to start. Welcome to the club.

I've been down this rabbit hole, my opinion to your question is no, its worth the buy, or get a model 70. This same issue is what led to me having full custom build to chamber 156 eols. Curtis action, Bartlein 1-8; AD CF stock. Triggertech flat trigger.
Most of the info I have has already been said, there's a lot of great people here.
My dad shoots and stock model 70 264win with a factory 1-9, it loves 130 Berger's with RL33 ; it's a screamer !
My rifle loves IMR8133, N570 and Retumbo
I size ADG 7rem mag brass to 264win mag, easy and works great. Norma brass has been good for me as well.
Welcome to the addiction, lol

Last edited:
Two stage triggers for Rem 700...

Timney Calvin Elite.
Huber Concepts.

I have one Timney on a 338 Norma Mag.
I have four Hubers on a 6mm BR, 6mm Creed, 7mm SAUM and 300 SAUM.

Not hard to work out which one is the better trigger.

Two stage triggers for Rem 700...

Timney Calvin Elite.
Huber Concepts.

I have one Timney on a 338 Norma Mag.
I have four Hubers on a 6mm BR, 6mm Creed, 7mm SAUM and 300 SAUM.

Not hard to work out which one is the better trigger.
I would shoot the 121 gr Hammers in that 1-9 twist you should be able to get them over 3400 fps . Compared to the Barnes 120 you will have less fouling , 300 fps more vel , easy load work up , etc . If you buy a used one have it checked out and make sure the throat isn't shot out . The 264 win is a barrel burner .

Having just discovered the utility of the .264 Win Mag, I can't see the need for me to either:

- spend $2k+ for a Win M70 pre-64
- build a LR custom rig

When I can grab a new Sendero and spend the saved money on getting my handloading gear.

Am I wrong?

Any other input welcome.
Depending on your component choices, you can have a semi-custom for the price of an R700 Sendero.

I've got one . Model 70 laredo style. Has a rock creek barrel, gap chamber it and put it together for me. It's to heavy for me. If you might be interested pm me.

The .264WM is a great cartridge! Especially in a Winchester M70.

Only mod is a Timney trigger, otherwise its factory.

Muzzle velocity for this group was 3360fps with a 117gn Hammer Hunter

Muzzle velocity for this group was 3210fps with a 117gn Hammer Hunter

Senderos are nice, but heavy. Their biggest con.

The R700 Sendero .264WM will almost certainly be a 1:9" twist. You might get away with some 140s, but as TRNLSON mentioned, the 130 OTM is about as fine of a light hunting bullet as there could ever be. My daughter shoots this bullet in her 6.5SLR @ 2925fps, and she has taken 4 pronghorn (331, 381, 391, 771) and 3 mule deer bucks (454, 532, 637) with them. I also shot a pronghorn at 260 with them. It is my go-to bullet in my 20" 6.5SS @ 3076fps as well. You should expect 3200-3300+ from them in a 26" .264WM.

Other bullets to ponder on would be:
129 NABLR
130 NAB
130 VLD
130 TGK
130 TMK
140 NAB

What twist does the barrel have? That may dictate your bullet choices anyway. Sadly if you are shooting factory ammo your choices will be limited as well. If it has a 9 twist barrel 130 class bullets will likely be your limit anyway.

I built a modified 264 Win Mag and it's a screamer, but I had a custom chamber built and throated to shoot 156 grain Berger bullets.

Like most factory ammo, the 264 WM is handicapped by using it.
I've got a old Sako Finnbear L61 in 264 Win Mag. It's still factory so the heaviest bullet would be in the 130 or lighter? What Twist should I have for the heaver bullets

Having just discovered the utility of the .264 Win Mag, I can't see the need for me to either:

- spend $2k+ for a Win M70 pre-64
- build a LR custom rig

When I can grab a new Sendero and spend the saved money on getting my handloading gear.

Am I wrong?

Any other input welcome.
I am pretty sure that depending on the age of the 700 Sendero that the 264 Win Mag has a 1x9 twist rate- that would be the only negative for me, I have two NIB