Hunting with a Remington Sendero FS: Any Feedback/Regrets

Ive hunted with my 300RUM sendero for alot of years. Packed it or my heavy @ss 338 Lapua not anymore. There are to many lighter weight rifles and i know some say weight helps accuracy and i can kind of agree to that but what helps your accuracy the most in my opinion is proper shooting technique. I thought for years i needed weight to stabilize and help me stay on target then I made friends with a long range rifle instructor and he basically showed me the proper method to mounting/holding rifle and what I was doing wrong. I now hunt primarily with a 7Lb 3oz all up 257 WTBY or 7lb 7oz 300 WTBY.

I used a savage 12fv which was about 11 pounds with the scope, ammo and bipod and didnt have trouble carrying it around the mountains of Alaska. I am getting a remington 700 with a sendero contour built by straight jacket armory and would have no problems carrying it around for miles.

Anybody hunt with their Sendero from a treestand? I'm wondering if climbing into my hang on stand from my box blind for a mid day woods hunt is a good idea with a 7mm STW in a Sendero. I bet a 7mm STW at 15 yards shooting a 175 grain ABLR packs a punch!

Anybody hunt with their Sendero from a treestand? I'm wondering if climbing into my hang on stand from my box blind for a mid day woods hunt is a good idea with a 7mm STW in a Sendero. I bet a 7mm STW at 15 yards shooting a 175 grain ABLR packs a punch!
Case the gun and pull it up with a rope. Weight does not matter here. After pulling it up, let the case back down to the ground and clip the rope to the stand. Same with a bow. Leave the case in the truck and sooner of later it will bang against either the tree or the stand and spook something you really don't want to scare off in such a fashion, not to mention banging up the gun or bow.

Case the gun and pull it up with a rope. Weight does not matter here. After pulling it up, let the case back down to the ground and clip the rope to the stand. Same with a bow. Leave the case in the truck and sooner of later it will bang against either the tree or the stand and spook something you really don't want to scare off in such a fashion, not to mention banging up the gun or bow.

Thank you although in the woods here in TN a gun or bow case laying on the ground would spook a deer if they aren't use to seeing it.

Thank you although in the woods here in TN a gun or bow case laying on the ground would spook a deer if they aren't use to seeing it.
Not if you spray it with one of the commercial scent away products. I keep a bottle in my pocket. Bowhunted a lot too. Never was a problem. Even less of one with a gun. No need to hang a stand on a deer trail anyway, especially with a gun. Banging a bow on an aluminum stand and watching a 170 class buck run off just once will break you. Don't even ask how I know this :mad:get a brown leaf camo soft case and try it.

Not if you spray it with one of the commercial scent away products. I keep a bottle in my pocket. Bowhunted a lot too. Never was a problem. Even less of one with a gun. No need to hang a stand on a deer trail anyway, especially with a gun. Banging a bow on an aluminum stand and watching a 170 class buck run off just once will break you. Don't even ask how I know this :mad:get a brown leaf camo soft case and try it.
BTW, I doubt Tennessee deer are any smarter than Arkansas deer. Ours are pretty shy.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.