264 lightning?

G

Has anyone ever heard of a 264 Lightning? There is a custom mauser rifle at the local shop chambered for this cartridge. No dies or brass. Gunsmith said he did a chamber cast and it was based of the 30-06 case, I am thinking basically a 6.5-06 improved? cant find any info.

Thanks
Gene Cole III

Genecole ,
Don't they reckon lightning never strikes the same place twice ? Could be a bad omen .
wink.gif

Aussie

You got a point. I have been looking for a couple days now and cant find any info. I think they will have a hard time selling the rifle without any info on the caliber.
Thanks,
Gene Cole III

gene, if you can get that chamber cast you can figure out what it is. Just measure the diameter at the shoulder, the distance from the start of the case head to the shoulder and base of the neck. You can then compare to well know wildcats to figure out what you have.

There are many wildcats that have basically the same dimension but called many things.

There are only so many ways to modify the /06 case. All common varieties are well documented from the 6.5-06 to the Gibbs. The difference in case capacity is not that great so starting loads can be used.

Try to see how long that throat is. If the bullet cannot engrave in the lands before leaving the case neck, that rifle will not shoot well. You would have to set back the chamber. At that time, you could cut a more common wildcat chamber.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.