260 rig for under $1K ?

haeffnkr

But if you goal is just a very accurate rig for under $1000 , then you can have a Rem 700 trued , rebarreled and stocked for about that maybe a little less. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The above quote was made to me after I had asked about 260's and Encores.

I am new to the long range/custom rifle seen, I only own hunting rifles (fairly accurate hunting rifles, that shoot under an inch at 100 yards.) I do reload and have very good luck with Nosler BT bullets in my loads.

My goal is to own a 260 rig that will shoot 120 grain bullets into one hole. I want to use the 120s because I want the extra velocity, and dont anticipate going out to 1000 yards. I do plan to shoot deer at 200-300 yards on average and a few possible shots up to 500, no farther, and this is on very few occasions. (I am set on this round and bullet)

Again....I want this rig to be accurate, one hole accurate! (with in reason of course....)
I do not plan on packing this rig, and whatever weight it takes is OK.

What is recommended to get to my goal?
Can it be done for 1K, (with out optics)?
If so what are the parts and where do I get them, including gunsmiths in Missouri.

Thanks for all your help.
I really enjoy your Great site, and have learned a lot!

Kevin

used rem 700 from pawn shop/gun shop - 300
shilen barrel blank - 225
action true/chamber/fit/crown - 225
rem VS or VLS stock from ebay or someone on the boards - 150

------900$

do bedding and trigger yourself.

some barrels are more (kreiger/lilja/hart) some are less (douglas/E.R.Shaw)

JB

Do you think those items will get me to my goal of 1 hole groups?

What do you look for, good or bad in a used 700 (short?) action?

I am not familiar with bedding, I have adjusted 700 triggers (some are better than others...)

You should be able to have it pillar bedded by a local smith for 100$ keeping you at your budget while adjusting you own trigger.

you might be able to get a used hunter BR (flat bottom) stock in BR classifieds or from someone else in the buisness if you dont like the varmint foreends

with top reloading components and techniques their is no reason that combo would not give you that end result.

you may want to check the kreiger for a few bucks more.

any action you find can be trued, unless it is just brutalized and the lugs are impacted into the lug seats. al that matters is if you can deal with the finish of the used action.

also get as heavy a contour barrel as you can stand to carry.

JB

Haeffnkr

Your limitation on one hole groups is going to be quality match grade 120 gr bullets for the 260 and very good barrel. Your best bet will be Nosler 120 BTips to start with.

If you watch around you can buy a used Rem heavy barrel Sendero for around $450-500. all you have to do is change the barrel. Might even have trigger work done and skim bedded already. You can sell the take off barrel depending on caliber for $50-75.

Very good Hart, Lilja or Shilen barrel in HV countour 28" with 1-9 twist will run around $250-275 and then $130-150 for chambering. Another $50-100 for truing front of rcvr and lapping lugs. $25-40 for trigger adjustment and honing if needed.

Used 700 action route is $250-300 for used 700, another $150 for used sendaro or laminated varmint stock, $100 for lugs and rcvr truing, barrel is $250-275 and $135-150 for chambering. Trigger adjustment same.

go with Forester Bonanza BenchRest dies. Custom order around $150 or less for BR die and micrometer seater. Send FL die off to JLC precisions and have it converted to bushings for $35.

Option 3 is find good used heavy barrel 6.5-284, 6.5-06, 6.5x 55 LR gun, buy it and spend $135 to rechamber to 260.

check with Ron Hoehn in Wright City. Go to BrCentral.com and he is advertiser there under (Complete Rifles). He builds great BR guns, he knows what he is doing with truing etc and he is very reasonable on pricing also. That is key to staying under $1k.

BH

[ 01-20-2004: Message edited by: BountyHunter ]

I just built an 6.5-284, I had an old remington 700 short action not being used, I sent the action to pac-nor, I had the action trued, ss super match barrel put on, that cost 450 and a target stock from richards, they run ya 120-240, I pillar/glass bedded the action my self, as of now i have $700 in the gun and it shoots under 1/4" five shot groups at 100 yards.

Good Luck,
Brian

OK....I like Nosler BT bullets. What other bullet options are there in the 120 range.

What about barrel twist? 1-9 was mentioned. Is the the optimum for 120 grain? What will happen if I try 140 or 100 grain some day?

What is the optimum barrel length? longer the better or what?

What about Stainless or blued actions and barrels? any pros or cons to this? I prefer the look of stainless, but know that it is more expensive usually. Do most guys keep match blue to blue or mix-match actions and barrels?

I would want a BR flat bottomed stock and a full bull barrel, whatever it takes to make it shoot.

I really appreciate all the replies so far.
thanks Kevin

Kevin,

The 1-9 twist will stabilize 140's take a look at look www.rifle-stocks.com , pac-nor stainless steel barrels are 25 more money than chrome moly, the stainless will hold up alot better, I had all my barrel and action work done by pac-nor, they did a great job, prices were hard to beat, and turn around time was good.

Brian,

Kevin

No one more accurate stock than other. key is pillar bedding on either wood or glass. Wood has to be sealed inside but other than that it works very vell if properly bedded and pillared, that is the key. The richards will work very vell for your budget.

1-9 will shoot both 100s and up to 140s. However, the 120 should be the most optimum.

SS barrel is only way to go. Hart, Shilen, Lilja will all install your barrel and true up action also. Go with 26" to max 28 for hunting gun.

BH

[ 01-21-2004: Message edited by: BountyHunter ]

I have another question, what is the most accurate stock?
I have always heard that wood moves with the changes in temp and humidity, and this changes the Point of Impact on a rifle?

Any ideas on this and my other questions?

thanks again, Kevin

Kevin

Check with Midway Arms in Columbia and see if they have a heavy barrel already chambered in 260 for the Savage? They sell chambered aftermarket barrels for Savages. If so, there is your gun. Just buy a savage in laminated stock in 308 (already pillar bedded), Sharpshooter supply sells aftermarket trigger for $80 if yours does not have accutrigger on it.

Cost will probably be $800 absolute max and great shooting gun.

BH

[ 01-22-2004: Message edited by: BountyHunter ]

What's the 'street' price on a new 12BVSS-S in .308? Seems like if you could get it at a reasonable price, then get a barrel from Pac-Nor for around $300-350 depending on options and fit it yourself, you could come in under budget (excepting scope). That way you can get a barrel that is what you want, not just what Midway catalogs, if it matters to you. I'm thinking something like a 28-30" heavy Palma taper w/ 1-8" twist and a tight (0.292") neck would be the way to go for me.

Just a thought.

Monte

These are some good ideas, but I am not sure I want a Savage. I will look into it though.
I have bought stuff from Midway though, good experience with them.

Is there some restriction on barrels and contours if I was ever to get into some kind of match? Do they have to be contoured to .920 on the end?
Otherwise I was going to go full bull all the way? Is that not wise for some reason?
I was going 1-9 twist in stainless.
I was hoping to get a stainless action, but that would be to expensive I assume.

What is the barrel brand of choice. Shilen is advertised a lot. I will get whatever is recommended, to make this rig shoot, please let me know.

I just ordered my Brownells catalog to see what I can find for this project....

I am trying to get a hold of my local GSmith and see what he recommends.

I assume the only way to get a Remington 700 action is to buy a complete rifle? (or get one off this site used?)

thanks for all the help thus far!
Kevin

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.