.260 Remington reloading help

tim1457

I recently had a Savage long range hunter rebarreled to a 1-8 twist. 260 Remington. I bought some Sierra .264 diameter 130gr. tipped Gamechanger bullets. I will be using ADG brass and federal 210M primers. My question, I have both Alliant Reloder 26 and Winchester Staball but can't find any load information for either powder. I called the Sierra technician today and he had nothing for the Reloder 26 and as far as he knew they haven't even tried Staball. If I could just find a max load on either or even better, both, I would at least have a stopping point. ADG advises 10% below max load anyway and I don't usually load Max anyway. Any information from you veterans would be greatly appreciated.

Sierra load data attached. Another thread indicates H4350 is the way to go with the 130 GC. Since I can't find any H4350 locally I have yet to find out! Good luck..

Attachments

• 61371ED1-10B7-4633-B23C-D6850E4F6DE0.png
    61371ED1-10B7-4633-B23C-D6850E4F6DE0.png
    49.9 KB · Views: 501
Sierra load data attached. Another thread indicates H4350 is the way to go with the 130 GC. Since I can't find any H4350 locally I have yet to find out! Good luck..
Thanks Rharfo, I appreciate this information.

H 4831 and H 414 are also very good powders and top velocity pressures will be under 60.000 Psi

J E CUSTOM
Thanks for the info. I have 16 pounds of Reloder 26 and really wanted to try this in the 260. I use it in my .243 and .300 Win. Mag. and read where people had good results in 6.5 Creedmoors which is basically the same as my .260. I also have a couple of pounds Of Winchester Staball, but can't find anything on it either.

I just did a powder evaluation in my 260 after doing one about 15 years ago. First test years ago found IMR4350 doing the best and I stuck with it till this month. Tried RL15 - H4350 - IMR4350 - IMR4064 - Varget and H414. Seems I can't get H4350 to shoot as well as the IMR version, maybe its me but thats the way it is. RL15 and H414 both showed promise but IMR4064 didn't perform well for me at all. Varget and IMR4350 locked in a deadheat for number one with Varget edging ahead on the basis off no compressed loads like IMR4350 and being less temp sensitive. I will say both winner's shot all hole touching groups so both were impressive. So Varget it is for me this time around. I remember reading an older post on here about 260 load work-up's and a poster commented that F Class shooters used a heavy charge of Varget almost to a man and it was very accurate. Thats what caused me to give it another try, I'm glad I did. Sorry can't help with Stabill or RL26 didn't have either to try. Good Shooting

Thanks for the info. I have 16 pounds of Reloder 26 and really wanted to try this in the 260. I use it in my .243 and .300 Win. Mag. and read where people had good results in 6.5 Creedmoors which is basically the same as my .260. I also have a couple of pounds Of Winchester Staball, but can't find anything on it either.

I hear you. I couldn't find much info on re 26 but found re 16. Sometimes it is best to use the recommended powders to start with,and then if you want to try the 26 you can.
It might be cheaper in the long run. đź‘Ť

J E CUSTOM

I just did a powder evaluation in my 260 after doing one about 15 years ago. First test years ago found IMR4350 doing the best and I stuck with it till this month. Tried RL15 - H4350 - IMR4350 - IMR4064 - Varget and H414. Seems I can't get H4350 to shoot as well as the IMR version, maybe its me but thats the way it is. RL15 and H414 both showed promise but IMR4064 didn't perform well for me at all. Varget and IMR4350 locked in a deadheat for number one with Varget edging ahead on the basis off no compressed loads like IMR4350 and being less temp sensitive. I will say both winner's shot all hole touching groups so both were impressive. So Varget it is for me this time around. I remember reading an older post on here about 260 load work-up's and a poster commented that F Class shooters used a heavy charge of Varget almost to a man and it was very accurate. Thats what caused me to give it another try, I'm glad I did. Sorry can't help with Stabill or RL26 didn't have either to try. Good Shooting
Thanks Savage 12BVSS, I do have Varget, use it in my .308. I may have to use it until more info comes out.

I hear you. I couldn't find much info on re 26 but found re 16. Sometimes it is best to use the recommended powders to start with,and then if you want to try the 26 you can.
It might be cheaper in the long run. đź‘Ť

J E CUSTOM
Same here, I found lots on the Reloder 16 also. I just contacted Berger to see if they had any load data with Reloder 26 for the .260. They are great to deal with and if I have to, I'll sell the Sierra 130's. Didn't really like dealing with them as much anyway.

With RL26 being such a slow burning powder I would think the heavier bullets would work a little better. Mine likes h4831sc with 142 gr bullets. I would like to try stabal 6.5. It's in a better burn rate zone for the 260. Just not a lot of data out yet. I think the creedmoors 30 degree shoulder helps it with the burning efficiency of RL26.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts