Larue 260 remington reloading help

cb4128

I'm trying to get to a good starting point on load development for my Larue .260 AR. I've done a bunch of research on here and come up with several popular loads that other guys are using in their 260 bolt actions - my question is, the posted max charges in 3 different reloading manuals and the data provided by Berger are all 2 grains lower than several of the most popular 260 loads I've seen with H4350.

So, here's what I have for min/max charges from manuals:

Using Berger 130gr Hybrids

CCI BR2 primers (or Federal 210M)

New Starline Brass

H4350:

- min charge 37.5gr

- max charge 41.8gr

(avg of the info provided by Hornady Reloading manual, Lee reloading manual, Nosler Reloading Manual and load data provided by Berger over the phone)

***Several proven loads I've found are closer to 43.5, 43.8, 44.0, 44.5gr

I UNDERSTAND YOU HAVE TO WORK UP to these "proven loads" in other guns, but I'm trying to not load up 50 rounds for load development (5 rounds, going up .5 gr increments from min to max)

Any tips on if I can start closer to max, say 40.0gr and work up?

Not trying to run a max load, but if I could get somewhere around 2,800 fps in a 22" barrel, I would be very happy

Thanks for the help!

The load I use in my .260 bolt gun is 41.x of H4350. That's for a 140 hr hybrid going 2750 fps.

You really need to work up a load for YOUR rifle. I would start at 40 gr like you suggested. But I like to use 0.3 or 0.4 gr steps.

Last edited:
when I got my 260 bolt gun everyone told me H4350 and 130 gr Berger was the only load to consider. I had better luck with 140 gr bullets and H4831. You might give it a try

*Update, did a partial load development and had good luck with 41.0gr of H4350 - 3 shots into about .40" at 100 yds - that's outside to outside, so talking around a .136" group at 100 yards with an AR!

Pretty excited about the potential - although I know it's pretty slow right now, probably going to keep working up to see if there's another node 1-1.5 more grains up

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.