.260 Remington brass question

The 260 rem was originally a wilcat called 6.5/308. The only way to have one was to have some one make a barrel and dies for you and then form brass. Remington commercialized it back when I was a kid. Of course that's back when the M700 was probably the number 1 selling rifle, and nobody knew why anybody would own one of those ugly looking Savages. I remember my grandpa showing me the article in a Hunting magazine announcing its realese. I clearly remember him saying " I don't know why anybody would want one of those, it's nothing special." I would love to have the chance to show him mine, and pictures of some of the shots I've made with it.

Since we're kind of on the subject, are any of you guys using 139 - 143 grain projectiles, or limiting yourselves to lighter ones in the 108 - 130 grain range?

Best,

Chris

I worked up a hunting load for my girlfriend's Savage with 130 Nosler Accubonds. But it & my 260 both shoot Sierra 142 Match Kings well for "Long range Rock Shooting"
Idaho-5R

I use 243 brass for all of my 260 needs in my DPMS LR-260H. I mainly buy Winchester brass,since my main use for this rifle is hunting,but I do have a couple hundred Nosler 243 cases for target shooting duties.
I wouldn't waste my money on Lapua brass for an AR style platform,the rifles beat the crap out of the brass.

Thanks, guys; appreciated information. It's a pity that the choice of factory ammo in .260 is so... pathetic. Would PPU load .260, I would just go with that for general goofing around. My fault, I suppose, for going with a gas gun firing a cartridge that is not readily available. My initial intent was to find a cartridge that more or less mirrored the ballistics of my favorite, the 6.5x55 in modern loads. From what I have seen, .260 is superior, at least on paper, to Creedmoor. Plus, the reviews that I have seen for CM factory ammo and brass have been all over the place. But I digress.

I'll start looking for the Win 7mm-08 brass. It will probably be the most cost-effective approach.

Johnnie Walker - Thank you. I'll keep an eye out for the Federal brass in .260, also.

Best,

Chris

The 308 is the most common and probably the easiest and cheapest to get.

It will size down to 6.5 with no problems if it is annealed.

As to the ammo issue with the 260, All popular ammo is difficult at present time. In my opinion you chose wisely by using a 308 based cartridge and you will always be able to get brass even if you have to size it.

Midway has PPU for less than $50.00 a 100 round bag "Available" they also have Winchester for about the same price. (But it is not as good as the PPU in my opinion, But there are plenty of choices of 308 brass.

I found 17 different kinds of loaded 260, but it was a little high per round $ 2.50 but it is available.

some popular cartridges are nearly $5.00 a round so it looks like we will be re loading most of the ammo we use for a while until they stop playing games. (Supply and Demand) and its not just Remington that playing games its all of the ammo manufactures.

Buy at least 200 rounds of good quality brass, size and prep it and you will be good to go.

J E CUSTOM

J E Custom - Thank you for the input; I initially went with the .260 because of my love for the Swede and the whole .308-based thing. Trouble is that the only way that I can get loaded ammo is to order it via the web, which is not always convenient. I honestly figured Cabela's to be a reliable source for the ammo. I must say that the cost of the loaded ammo is also, as you note, really high. I can buy good ammo for the Swede locally for about $1.25 per round on average.

txhillbilly - I'm using an LR260L. Are you using any 140-grain (or similar) projectiles? If so, how well are they feeding?

Best,

Chris

WARNING:
The small primer pockets are a NO GO. Pressure problems are eminent. I have used 308, 7-08, 243 brass for my AR 260. The only hitch I experienced was with the 243 brass developing donuts on the inside of the neck. Annealing is needed for all. Please be careful with the advice of those that are shooting bolt guns. Heavy bullets create lock time problems. I stick to 123 amax and scenars. Good luck and enjoy. This is my favorite rifle to shoot. Pm if u have other questions

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.