260 Rem Load Recipeies?

28" 1 to 8 twist

Barrel is married to the action now.

Opened the stock to handle the 1 1/4 barrel

Bedding the action this week.

will take some pics when It's finished.

Looking at the Berger manual last night, I saw that I could use the same 140gr Match VLD Hunting that I will be loading for the 260 Rem. with my 6.5 Grendel.
Lost of fun things to consider.

Another interesting thing in the Berger reloading manual is that in the usual write up by the various authors about each cartridge there is a bolded paragraph stating the Muzzle velocity increase or decrease per inch of barrel. For the 260 it reads:

Muzzle velocity will increase (or decrease) by approximately 26 fps per inch from a standard 24" barrel.

So, if you have a 28 inch barrel you can expect an increase of approximately 104 fps, which would take the max printed velocity of 2736 to 2840. Not bad at all.

It all looks good, But!!!

As my mama always said, the prof is in the pudding.

Allot of work up to do.

Soon it will be, let the fun began.

Kinda fun even now.

Well here is a project I have piecing together for quite sometime.
I finally have everything together and was able to take it for a break-in on Sunday (cold and Windy)
Savage weather warrior, Shilen 24", Stockade Thumbhole, Zeiss 4.5-14 w/ RZ 800.
My speeds are under 2600 shooting 140gr bergers and 41.5 gr IMR 4350. I was hoping to be near 2800-2850 for final development.
I am extremely pleased with 1st results, the barrel still needs floated and it was very windy
I am not having any pressure signs. Is it possible to get speeds near what I want using IMR 4350 and maxing out about 44.5 gr?
2013-01-01_14-50-42_375.jpg

2013-01-06_17-29-01_461.jpg

just finished floating now I need to bed the action.
Then work the trigger.
I have the same scope.
will post pics when I get it done.
Getting closer to shooting mine.

Well here is a project I have piecing together for quite sometime.
I finally have everything together and was able to take it for a break-in on Sunday (cold and Windy)
Savage weather warrior, Shilen 24", Stockade Thumbhole, Zeiss 4.5-14 w/ RZ 800.
My speeds are under 2600 shooting 140gr bergers and 41.5 gr IMR 4350. I was hoping to be near 2800-2850 for final development.
I am extremely pleased with 1st results, the barrel still needs floated and it was very windy
I am not having any pressure signs. Is it possible to get speeds near what I want using IMR 4350 and maxing out about 44.5 gr?

Your load is very mild. My current load is 45grains of H4350 behind 130bullets. When I was loading the 140s in my rifle, I could easily push them 2800+

Yeah Im guessing youll get >2800 pretty easy. The rifle looks great. If the weather would just warm up a little here I am dying to dial in my load.

On another note, I've primed and charged about thirty of my 260 cases but haven't put a bullet in yet. I've covered them and put them up in the garage, are they OK to just sit there?

On another note, I've primed and charged about thirty of my 260 cases but haven't put a bullet in yet. I've covered them and put them up in the garage, are they OK to just sit there?

As long as you keep them covered so dust and debris doesn't get in there, I think they will be fine.

A lot of options out there for sure. Just take it easy and work your way up to any posted loads. I didn't push mine since the first load I tried was shooting great and had good velocity. Just remember as you push up there and try to match the 6.5-284 you might be matching its reputation for barrel wear as well. Good luck and enjoy that 260. I know I do put the pdogs hate it. lol
The 6.5x284 is definately a barrel burner. I found out after 780 rounds! A Savage F-Class 30" Barrel. It shot great up until the end. I have since replaced it with a 30" Bartelin .260 Rem. recently. I would not replace the barrel on that Savage until it goes away. Savage has very good barrels........LARRY.

The 6.5x284 is definately a barrel burner. I found out after 780 rounds! A Savage F-Class 30" Barrel. It shot great up until the end. I have since replaced it with a 30" Bartelin .260 Rem. recently. I would not replace the barrel on that Savage until it goes away. Savage has very good barrels........LARRY.

I agree. I use my 260 Savage LRP at 2750FPS for target/competition, the 6.5x284 at 2975 for hunting. I have found that the 6.5x284's life can be extended to 1000-1100 rounds when used for hunting and not running it hot like I do with my target rifles. Never got much more than that, sometimes less, from my 270, 7mm, and 300 Magnums. I would have to say though, I personally can see the advantage over the 260 with 800+ yard performance in ballistics, accuracy, and terminal performance with the 6.5x284 which is probably the reason for the strong following.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.