.260 Peterson Small Rifle Primer Brass??

codyadams

Has anyone tried this yet? I have heard really good reviews about Peterson brass. I want to use it in my .260 Ackley, my Lapua LR primer brass has lasted 12 firings, and I'm starting to loose cases due to a loose primer pocket. Now, Peterson offers both large and small primer pocket .260 brass for the same price, and not saying I'm unhappy with 12 firings out of my Lapua brass, but would a small primer pocket possibly get me more brass life out of the primer pocket? Would it be worth it? I'm using Reloder 26, so a relatively slow powder, would I need to use magnum primers to start with? I would plan on trying both standard and magnum anyway to see what gave me the lowest S.D. numbers. Any input would be appreciated, especially if you have shot .260 or .260 AI with a small primer pocket, whether it was necked down Lapua .308 palma brass or Alpha munitions, whatever. Thanks in advance!!

No one??

I had also heard that you cannot fireform Peterson brass, from other reloaders as well as their site says not to fireform. I wanted to talk to them and ask exactly why, and upon contacting the owner, he stated that it is only a legal warning, nothing to do with the brass itself, and you can fireform their brass as with other brass. Just in case someone out there was wondering as I was.

You ever find out anything about Peterson brass? I kinda been looking at it also..Was also wondering about the small primer pockets..LOL

I haven't heard anything yet....I think I'm just going to get 100 rounds of small primer pocket .260 brass and fireform and start load developement. It doesn't seem like anyone else seems to know much on it

Cody did you run any srp brass in the 260ai? I'm about to do a 260 improved 30°, will be using same rl26 powder as you. Alpha and Peterson both off small primer 260 brass. Curious what way you went.

Yup I did. When I tried different bullets, the 147 eld-m did well with BR-4's, however when I went to the 156 Berger, I had to switch to CCI 450's to get acceptable e.s., the magnum primer stabilized the load.

Yup I did. When I tried different bullets, the 147 eld-m did well with BR-4's, however when I went to the 156 Berger, I had to switch to CCI 450's to get acceptable e.s., the magnum primer stabilized the load.
What are you getting for speeds with the 156/rl26 combo? My 24" creed does 2750 with accuracy in lapua SRP brass. My plan is to set a creedmoor reamer deep enough to crush fit peterson srp 260 brass and form it. Neck will be a bit short but I'll still be able to utilize my creed dies.

I'm running them at 2940 with a pretty conservative load. Max was around 3000-3015 fps.
26" barrel? I'll be running 24" 2850 fps is all I'm after w/ a 156. I'm debating on how deep I want to set the freebore. The 143/147/152/156 have similar bearing so might just do this. 140 class bergers would just have to jump a ways. Which they usually tolerate.

29". I talked to another guy running a 20" barrel .260 AI, and he was at 2725 with an almost identical load to mine, within half a grain. Throat it for the 156, and then if you want to use a 140, just get the elite hunter, not as touchy on seating.

29". I talked to another guy running a 20" barrel .260 AI, and he was at 2725 with an almost identical load to mine, within half a grain. Throat it for the 156, and then if you want to use a 140, just get the elite hunter, not as touchy on seating.
Perfect, thanks!

Also if your running it on a remington, Wyatts is making a medium length mag box designed for the short action remington action, it allows you 3.325" OAL, as well as their known bainey box that gets you 3.110. When I set up the 156 for optimal length in my .260 AI, I was around 3.080" or so.

Also if your running it on a remington, Wyatts is making a medium length mag box designed for the short action remington action, it allows you 3.325" OAL, as well as their known bainey box that gets you 3.110. When I set up the 156 for optimal length in my .260 AI, I was around 3.080" or so.
Thanks for the heads up. I'm building on a Tikka long action, so I have 3.38" magazine space.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.