260 and Barnes 120gr TTSX- suggestions?

skydiveblake

I am having the devil of a time working up a load for my Sako 75. Sent it to Hill Country Rifles for accurizing and they sent it back saying it shot 120gr TTSX factory ammo at .542.
Have been loading H4350 from 42-45.5gr and trying different OALs and charging to NO avail. I don't know what kind of factory ammo they were shooting to get the results they did (and they couldn't remember when I called), but I am looking for any suggestions in load data.

My results are really inconsistent, and yes, everything is torqued to spec. It just came back from HCR., but it isn't shooting any differently, so I'm not doing something right.

One question I wanted to throw out there about Barnes seating depth, too: when you buy factory ammo with Barnes ammo, it's seated deep. None of the grooves are showing. We loaded it longer because Barnes says to jump it 5-7 thousandths, but if you load it like the factory stuff, it has to jump WAAYY more than that. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

One question I wanted to throw out there about Barnes seating depth, too: when you buy factory ammo with Barnes ammo, it's seated deep. None of the grooves are showing. We loaded it longer because Barnes says to jump it 5-7 thousandths, but if you load it like the factory stuff, it has to jump WAAYY more than that. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

If this is true, then it sounds as though you're problem is that you're not jumping your reloads enough.

The next alternative would be to change something else. My suggest would be to change bullets. If you plan to shoot beyond 600 yards, look at the various 140grain options like the 140grain VLD. They shoot well in my 260...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-260-mcr-59628/

Barnes says to jump it 5-7 thousandths

I have never heard Barnes say or write that. Every reference I've used, via phone, email, and their website has been pretty consistent with a jump from .030 to .050 or even .070.

If you happen to have been in error, meaning 50-70 thousandths, then you are correct.

I have never heard Barnes say or write that. Every reference I've used, via phone, email, and their website has been pretty consistent with a jump from .030 to .050 or even .070.

If you happen to have been in error, meaning 50-70 thousandths, then you are correct.

+1
Big difference in 5-7 thou and 50-70 thou. Don't be afraid to jump them. Most of mine jump 100 thou area.

I have found a great load for my 260 Remington with a Hart barrel. I am shooting the 120TTSX using RP cases, Fed 210 primers, and 44.0 grains of RL-17. I worked up to this load by starting at 42-43 grains. It is very accurate with groups as small as .24 inches for three shots. Also velocity is over 2900 ft/sec. I think that the advise that has been given is correct don't be afraid to jump the bullets 70 thousands or so, but start at 50 off the lands. Barnes seem to shoot better off the lands in my experience.

Sent it to Hill Country Rifles for accurizing and they sent it back saying it shot 120gr TTSX factory ammo at .542.
...... I don't know what kind of factory ammo they were shooting to get the results they did (and they couldn't remember when I called)

Really???

Factory ammo with 120gr TTSX bullets and they can't remember the brand???

Maybe you didn't send it to the right folks to get it accurized.

Barnes website only shows the 120 TSX being loaded by Cor-Bon and Federal in the 260. It does not show the TTSX being loaded by anyone. That being said, not sure how up to date the list is.

Anybody have any inside scoop on what kind of powder they use? I used the H4350 because it is awesome in my other 260, but maybe I should try another.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.