26 Nosler help.

Yeah, I'm jumping in. Sorry guys this is may not go well but I'm trying to understand.

adam32 it's not the message, it the method.

If you are trying to say, beware of barrel burners, there is no issue with your position.

If you are trying to say, your stupid, the design is stupid, then there is an issue.

The first one is constructive, open to discussion of the pros and cons of your position and sharing knowledge and experience and IMO very contributory to a forum.

The second is negative, insulting and closed to any discussion of pros and cons depicts a general a 'use must do it my way' attitude and IMO is very damaging to the forum concept.

Just asking and trying to understand.

I'm the first to jump on the "barrel burner" bandwagon, I think overbore is great. I think the big case, small bore stuff is awesome when they last at least 500-600 rounds. I'm just saying there's gotta be something up with the Nosler case, I know some people can burn up a .308 in 50 rounds by treating it poorly but there's been more then 1 person burning up a Nosler in under 200 rounds. I don't have the answer but when a .264 Win Mag will do all the Nosler will, just 25 yards shorter and is proven to last 1000+ rounds then I would personally go that route. Or even a 6.5x284 that is also considered a "barrel burner"...

The reason I asked "Why" he is set on it, is I'm curious if he saw the Nosler ads where they hype up the "flat for 415 yards" slogan. I'm not trying to be rude, he asked about the 26 nosler and will get both questions and answers in return.

I'm the first to jump on the "barrel burner" bandwagon, I think overbore is great. I think the big case, small bore stuff is awesome when they last at least 500-600 rounds. I'm just saying there's gotta be something up with the Nosler case, I know some people can burn up a .308 in 50 rounds by treating it poorly but there's been more then 1 person burning up a Nosler in under 200 rounds. I don't have the answer but when a .264 Win Mag will do all the Nosler will, just 25 yards shorter and is proven to last 1000+ rounds then I would personally go that route. Or even a 6.5x284 that is also considered a "barrel burner"...

The reason I asked "Why" he is set on it, is I'm curious if he saw the Nosler ads where they hype up the "flat for 415 yards" slogan. I'm not trying to be rude, he asked about the 26 nosler and will get both questions and answers in return.

I want one because I work hard for my money and thats what I choose to spend it on. If I wanted another 6.5x284 then I wouldnt be asking this question. If I wanted my 264 back I would go get it back from my father. If it helps you any, No I didnt see the add "flat to 415" that was later on and has nothing to do with my question about bolt face or why I want one. For some reason soon as I looked on my work computer this morning I found exactly what I was looking for on some pages that wouldnt load at home. If the barrel on last for 60 rounds then thats about 6 good years of hunting for me. If I shoot one deer with it and dont like it then I can put it up with the others that I dont care for.

I want one because I work hard for my money and thats what I choose to spend it on. If I wanted another 6.5x284 then I wouldnt be asking this question. If I wanted my 264 back I would go get it back from my father. If it helps you any, No I didnt see the add "flat to 415" that was later on and has nothing to do with my question about bolt face or why I want one. For some reason soon as I looked on my work computer this morning I found exactly what I was looking for on some pages that wouldnt load at home. If the barrel on last for 60 rounds then thats about 6 good years of hunting for me. If I shoot one deer with it and dont like it then I can put it up with the others that I dont care for.

I answered the bolt face and action question in my first post. :rolleyes:

Keep us posted on your results and good luck. gun)

I want one because I work hard for my money and thats what I choose to spend it on.

In the end this is all that matters. Same reason I'm going to build a 7mm Dakota. Lots of reasons why I shouldn't..........only one why I should......I WANT one.

Good luck with your project!gun)

OK!

Thanks Adam, I take it as a "beware the barrel burner" constructive comment and of course bad practices that will kill a barrel regardless of chambering.

I did notice something in the post about the barrel cooked in 160 rounds (180? not worth looking for it) He was shooting 140s at 3400fps. That's lots hotter than 130s at 3400fps and QL predicted to be over 62,000psi. Could be a contributing factor.

Yes indeed the barrel burner spreadsheet shows 682 rounds for a 26 Nosler using 130 accubonds, 85grns of Retumbo in a 26 inch barrel. QL says dead on 3400.

A 7RUM would be 721 for max book load with the same powder.

A .264 Win Mag "doing everything" a 26 Nosler can do is at 865 rounds but in order to do it exceeding 63,000psi. Dangerous and I don't believe with those loadings it will last 1000+ rounds. I used 7828ssc in the model because it was the only powder that fit to those speeds and pressures.

There are lots of barrel burner chamberings. So what, it's part of the game.

My strategy with the 26 Nosler was to load it down a bit though it would still be plenty fast. Turns out that didn't work out so good. From what I've seen this thing has a very sharp pressure build so it doesn't take much powder to go from nice and friendly to screaming fast. Also once you get there you don't get much velocity out of added powder.

I'm running the 127 Barnes LRX at 3,450 fps which seems to be right about redline. I didn't plan to be running that fast but that is where it groups. No matter though since this is a pure hunting rifle.

26 nosler is a smoken gun. I got a 6.5x284 and I read a lot of post that it was a barrel burner but really I don't care. It shoots great, its fun to shoot and its my go to out an about shooting gun. I'm with you get what you want and you will be happy even if it burns out the barrel sooner a lot sooner. Hell hopefully some day I can get the money up to have a 338 Allen mag and possible a 375. Why because there wicked fast with a 300/350 grain bullet. The 375 is slightly more practical and would be one that I would probably shoot more if I had them. I have a 300RUM also. But I shoot the 6.5 probably 30 to1. Not because it has the possibility to burn out the barrel sooner...I just like shooting my 6.5. I'll say get what you want and be proud of it. There's nothing better than making a tough good shot with a gun you like and have faith that its not going to let you down. It's a great feeling and it sticks in our mind for years to come.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.