26 Nosler 127 Barnes data

318lll9740

Good evening! So I got a x bolt in nosler 26, 26" barrel, sporter contour, camoed the stock, slapped a brake on and need some help with data. I purchased a box of 129 loaded lrab, just to shoot for brass to reload. Wanting to see how it would throw the 140s I had to reload, I wasn't really shooting for groups, but did notice the 129 hoovered around .80". I loaded the 140 nbt on top of some us869, but it really didn't group. Instead of wasting bore metal, I got to reading and it seems the 127 is the way to go. I ordered some and got some rl33. Anyone have data or quickload info? I've got the nosler data for 130s, and Hodgdns, but I would like some data from real shooters . TIA

I ran into stiff bolt lift at 80gr of rl33 with a fed 215 match primer. I don't remember offhand what my coal is, but it is a bit longer than the 3.34" sammi length.
I tried several bullets and the 127 gave me the best accuracy. I played with the 140 vld/hybrid, 140amax, 129/142 lrab, 140ab and 120ttsx. I shot a few ok groups with most of those but they all took lots of work to make shoot. The 127lrx at 070" off the lands and the worst groups equalled the best from some of the other bullets. At 79gr of rl33 three shot groups are pretty consistent at 1/3moa with the odd group in the .2's.

Thanks for taking time to respond. I had a similar experience as you, trying the 120 and 140 nbt, 123 amax. Nothing would consistently shoot well. I have 19 of the original brass from the loaded ammo sized, trimmed, and ready to go. I think theyre on the second resize, looking good and barely stretching.

Last edited:
I tried 140 ablr 143 eld x and some 140 Bergers (which shot the worst). The 127 Barnes shot by far the best in a xbolt western hunter. I used 869 but would have to check notes for charge. Have to clean the gun more than normal to keep it shooting but it's a good combination. Seems like 3,425 fps.
As a side note after about 150 rounds the factory muzzle brake separated at the first set of holes. Any one else ever heard of that happening? Blew the rest of the brake down range.

I tried 140 ablr 143 eld x and some 140 Bergers (which shot the worst). The 127 Barnes shot by far the best in a xbolt western hunter. I used 869 but would have to check notes for charge. Have to clean the gun more than normal to keep it shooting but it's a good combination. Seems like 3,425 fps.
As a side note after about 150 rounds the factory muzzle brake separated at the first set of holes. Any one else ever heard of that happening? Blew the rest of the brake down range.
I have blown an entire brake off bf due to not periodically checking to make sure it was snug, but never had one separate from itself. All that powder roaring thru that brake probably weakens it? The brake I had turned is similar in size to the factory one, and I did notice they are pretty thin, .60". I had mine threaded at 9/16×24, which leaves very little metal. I can't recall factory thread, but it is metric.

So I got my bullets in earlier this week. After helpful input from the forum, in loading 3 brass with charges of 77,78, & 79 of RL33. I had everything I need but my dang hand Primer! So I'm 1200 miles from home working and forgot it. Of course the BPS in Harrisburg is out of them too. So it looks like I won't be shooting today. The 127 lrx is a long projectile! Measured 1.41", looks like it will be a good bit in case! Suggestions on coal? The 3.34" seems crazy for this bullet, my factory mag I believe limits me to 3.6".

So I got my bullets in earlier this week. After helpful input from the forum, in loading 3 brass with charges of 77,78, & 79 of RL33. I had everything I need but my dang hand Primer! So I'm 1200 miles from home working and forgot it. Of course the BPS in Harrisburg is out of them too. So it looks like I won't be shooting today. The 127 lrx is a long projectile! Measured 1.41", looks like it will be a good bit in case! Suggestions on coal? The 3.34" seems crazy for this bullet, my factory mag I believe limits me to 3.6".
I would simply start at maximum magazine length and plan to work shorter, unless you are ok with single feeding.

Update! Finally got a new hand primer and loaded up 3 sighters @76 gr of rl33, and 3 rounds of 77,78, &79 as well. I put a dummy round in chamber and it kissed lands around 3.45", so I knocked .050" off and settled on 3.4" coal. I took time and cleaned barrel extremely well too. Tomorrow I will post pics of rifle and groups.

Finally got to the range. I had 3 sighters loaded with 76gr. Fired them on a clean cold barrel, group was about 3.5". Second group with 77 yielded a little over an inch. 78gr was a little under inch. I had 3 loaded with 79 gr i took to 200yd range and it printed an inch group. Looks like the lrx is gonna work. I'm gonna load up 79gr and play with seat depth. Btw, scope was a 3-9, 30mm burris, and temp was 34 and snowing, not ideal at all for being still, but it definitely shows promise. Thanks for the help guys!

20171122_152819.jpg

Here is the budget build...450 for the x bolt after rebate, 50 on the brake, 100 for gunsmithing, and 7 on paint. Scope, 3-9x40-30mm, was on sale at cabelas for $150

Nice! I have the same gun and am looking at having a brake put on. I am also looking for load recommendations for the 26 nosler. I just ordered some LRX yesterday and possibly looking at VLD's soon. Also have ttsx and Hornady sst to try. Hopefully something works out

Nice! I have the same gun and am looking at having a brake put on. I am also looking for load recommendations for the 26 nosler. I just ordered some LRX yesterday and possibly looking at VLD's soon. Also have ttsx and Hornady sst to try. Hopefully something works out
I'm gonna use the lrx this season. I may try the berger again with the rl33. The 869 didn't really group all that well with everything I tried. I've noticed all my Browning prefer either Barnes projectiles, or a heavy bullet. Right now thought the 127 lrx is doing a great job. Let me know if your interested in a brake . I found a good machinist that gives a sweet deal on them

I have some 140 nosler ballistic tips if u want 10-15 to try out. Just pm me and I'll send u some if u like

I'm gonna use the lrx this season. I may try the berger again with the rl33. The 869 didn't really group all that well with everything I tried. I've noticed all my Browning prefer either Barnes projectiles, or a heavy bullet. Right now thought the 127 lrx is doing a great job. Let me know if your interested in a brake . I found a good machinist that gives a sweet deal on them
I'm interested in a brake but I live in MN. I'd have to find someone near me. There isn't many options within an hour of my house so I may have to look a little further. The one gunsmith I did call said $50-60 to thread the barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.