25wssm

Skigeek

I recently got a wild hair and decided to get into varmint hunting. Up until now, I have been strickly a shotgun type of guy. I plan to shoot prairie dogs and coyotes, with an occasional antelope hunt. I chose a Model 70 stealth II in 25wssm, and now am wondering if I made a mistake in chosing that caliber. My concerns are a cartridge that might not catch on, cost per round and recoil. I don't see too many people mentioning the 25wssm in any of the forums related to long range hunting and/or varmint hunting. I plan to buy a 300wsm next year for mule deer and elk. Any thoughts?
frown.gif

I don't have the 25WSSM, but think that it would be an excellent choice for varmints and deer size animals. I shoot the .25-06 and think your's is just more of a better thing.
Try the 75gr Sierra HP and Hornady V-max for vermin and you'll love the Barnes 100gr Triple Shock for deer/goats. The first and latter are extremely accurate in my Sendero. Good luck. Johnny K.

Welcome to LRH!

First off, from what I have seen in actual range testing, the 25 WSSM is coming up short of the 25-06 in performance numbers.

Does this mean it is not a good round, certainly not. It is very close to the performance of the 25-06 and thus a great yote/pronghorn hunter though it is a bit tough on pelts with the lighter bullets.

It is alot of gun for a P. Dog rifle and spendy to shoot as well.

If I were you I would start stashing brass if you want to keep this rifle. There is no sign right now that these rounds will not last but they are not selling like hot cakes either.

Get 500 to 1000 brass lined up and that would last a lifetime with one rifle with decent pressure loads.

The 300 WSM is a great round, little less potent then the 300 Win but totally suitable for anything up to moose on the non dangerous side of things.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks ya'll, I feel better and guess I will keep the 25 wssm. After all, it's just a gun. I can make up enough excuses without blaming the gun.

Can't wait to get out to shoot it.

115gr nosler ballistic tips!!!
75gr only go to 350yds in my 25-06 before going off the paper i am blaming this on rate of twist.i loaded lots of 87-90-several 100 grainers....rem 700 classic 1-10.none come close to 115.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.