25-284

sebell

I am soliciting comments, loads, velocities, bullets, twists recommended for the 25-284. What are the pros and cons of this cartridge? Is there brass readily availiable or a reasonably easy method to form them? If you have experience with this round, please post.

Not many guys on this board shoot .25's because the low availability of good bullets. BUT, if you go HERE and do a search on the archives, you will find a wealth of info...HERE

There are several good 284 brass sources now to include Norma etc. So brass is not an issue.

JLK makes a very good VLD bullet, 108 grains with BC of .500.

Dave Kiff and other mftrs have the reamers for you at about $160-170. Neil Jones can make custom dies off your reamer specs for $300. You can pick the brass and talk to Dave about design, he will help you figure out what you want. He will need to know what throat length you want for Varmint or VLD bullets etc and whether tight neck which requires neck turning or just minimum SAAMI with no neck turning. Basically neck down the 6.5/284 brass and shoot unless neck turning is required.

However what are you going to do with it? Varmints or big game.

Think you would be better off with a stock 6mm BR or BRX improved case for varmints with 1-12 twist for 80-90 gr bullets or go with 6.5/284 with 1-8 for shooting 140 + bullets for game.

Bottom line this would be lot of work and money for what you get. Now if you have the experience and $, otherwise more suitable and easier cartridges are available.

BR

If making an obscure cartridge isn't a necessity and you really want a 25 make either the 25-06 or 25-06 ackley. I have a 25-06 in a Ruger km77vt and with Berger 115gr vld bullets that are moly coated and seated right into the rifling. This combo with 55gr of Reloder 22 will shoot an incredibly small hole-like one stretched out bullet hole at 100yds. Everything for this cartridge is readily available.

viva lad, I've got a couple of 25s. If you've got specific questions maybe I can help. But you do need to decide what the main purpose of this gun will be. For all around shooting a 1-10 twist will handle most of the currently available bullets. The 25-284 is super fast and accurate in my gun. I'm sure you will have fun with this one.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.