6mm/284

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by Jim/Iowa, Jul 18, 2004.

1. Jim/Iowa

Jim/Iowa Member

I am reqally new to this, but i would like to go to the range and shoot with the 600 yd people. I have never tried range shots over 100, using hunting rifles. These shooters are into Ar's with iron sights. I am 60yrs old using tri focal's, but I think I can get in there. Before I drop down a bunch of change, I was wondering what this board would say to taking my old tired Parker-Hale 243 and turning into a 6mm/284 or a 6.5/284. Or give up the ghost and trade it in?
    Jim

2. chris matthews

chris matthews Well-Known Member

The PH is a pretty good rifle- I'd say stick with it and rebarrel it. I would stay with the 243 but use a fast twist barrel for the 105-107gr bullets or maybe the good ol 308. Both will be easier on your pocket book and barrel and are more than enough for accurate 600 yard shooting.

3. Jim/Iowa

Jim/Iowa Member

Chris
    Thanks for your reply. To rebarrel in 243, what twist rate is recommended, I have 1:10 now and groups of 90grn + are terrible? Is going to a AI a viable option, I mean do you get that much bang for the buck? I reload so the AI option would require new dies, but it is a fun gun to shoot, and to reload.
    OT Did Frank Solich (x coach Nebr) go to Kansas U? I saw a comment in the paper which surprised me.

Jim

4. chris matthews

chris matthews Well-Known Member

Going with the AI gets you in the 6mm Rem velocity neighborhood or slightly above. A 1-8 is needed for the 105-107s. There are a few guys who use the 243 AI with the 107s in 1000rd BR.
    Ask Dave King about his "regular" 243 with the heavy bullets. I built him one over a year ago and he's shot the snot out of it.