6mm/284

Jim/Iowa

I am reqally new to this, but i would like to go to the range and shoot with the 600 yd people. I have never tried range shots over 100, using hunting rifles. These shooters are into Ar's with iron sights. I am 60yrs old using tri focal's, but I think I can get in there. Before I drop down a bunch of change, I was wondering what this board would say to taking my old tired Parker-Hale 243 and turning into a 6mm/284 or a 6.5/284. Or give up the ghost and trade it in?
Jim

The PH is a pretty good rifle- I'd say stick with it and rebarrel it. I would stay with the 243 but use a fast twist barrel for the 105-107gr bullets or maybe the good ol 308. Both will be easier on your pocket book and barrel and are more than enough for accurate 600 yard shooting.

Chris
Thanks for your reply. To rebarrel in 243, what twist rate is recommended, I have 1:10 now and groups of 90grn + are terrible? Is going to a AI a viable option, I mean do you get that much bang for the buck? I reload so the AI option would require new dies, but it is a fun gun to shoot, and to reload.
OT Did Frank Solich (x coach Nebr) go to Kansas U? I saw a comment in the paper which surprised me.

Jim

Going with the AI gets you in the 6mm Rem velocity neighborhood or slightly above. A 1-8 is needed for the 105-107s. There are a few guys who use the 243 AI with the 107s in 1000rd BR.
Ask Dave King about his "regular" 243 with the heavy bullets. I built him one over a year ago and he's shot the snot out of it.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.