.243 Winchester vs .22-250 Remington

ajacinto

So I want to get my hands dirty with shooting and reloading. I would like to start off with a low recoiling caliber and then move up to the big boy calibers as I get more experienced.

Which caliber would you believe to have more room for showing a newcomer the discipline of shooting long range? I know .224 and .243 won't be good at 800 yards, but they can at least teach me the basics [reloading, ballistics, shooting skills, shooting position, shooting everything] before I get to the real long range.

Which of the two calibers would offer wider range of load capabilities? Which of the calibers can shoot further out and still be stable?

If you believe there's a better option out there feel free to let me know..... how bad is the recoil on 6BR Norma ??

THANK YOU

Last edited:
6br norma is an excellent target/varmint cartridge
it has less recoil than 243
it is easy to load for
with a 1:8 twist barrel, you can shoot 105-107gr bullets accurately to 1000yds
the barrel will last for thousands of rounds

the main drawback is that you won't find ammo at walmart or cabelas
you can order excellent Lapua ammo online
since you intend to handload, factory ammo availability shouldn't be an issue

you don't have too many factory rifle choices in 6br norma
however, savage chambers a couple of affordable/accurate rifles in 6br norma

22-250 and 243 are good cartridges with their own pros and cons

So I want to get my hands dirty with shooting and reloading. I would like to start off with a low recoiling caliber and then move up to the big boy calibers as I get more experienced.

Which caliber would you believe to have more room for showing a newcomer the discipline of shooting long range? I know .224 and .243 won't be good at 800 yards, but they can at least teach me the basics [reloading, ballistics, shooting skills, shooting position, shooting everything] before I get to the real long range.

Which of the two calibers would offer wider range of load capabilities? Which of the calibers can shoot further out and still be stable?

If you believe there's a better option out there feel free to let me know..... how bad is the recoil on 6BR Norma ??

THANK YOU

I have both. And I use the 22-250 more because of where I am. If I lived in the western...more open states....I might lean toward the 243. Other than flat out EXPLODE prairie dogs and make a LOT of noise, there basically is no recoil from it. .243 has a tiny bit of muzzle jump and almost the same amount of noise. Lots depends on what your end goal is. If you want to hunt antelope; Yotes; badgers...etc...Id go with the 243. If its PD's and Yotes...Id lean toward the 22-250.

You can lean well with either.

BTW: With the right components the 243 cartridge ( basically a 6MM) can fly a LONG distance. My 243 heavy barrel gun isnt being setup for short ranges at all...

Last edited:
the gun is more important than the caliber. an 8 twist , 6mmbr savage lrpv or f class will shoot real good very far. an lrpv 22-250 9 twist the same.

Given the choice between 243 and 22-250...definitely 243. Get a rifle with sufficient twist to shoot the heavier bullets (105+ grains) and you will have a rig that can shoot targets and varmints as far as you can see. It will also kill deer at considerable distance.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.