22-250 vs. 223 for a long range beginner?

The are many reasons that either caliber will be a good fit for you. There are howeve, two places that the .223 shines. When it comes to price per shot you can't beat a .223 caliber gun. The .223 is not a picky caliber either. Get the barrel twist right and most any brand of quality ammo will shoot well. If you get into hand loading, I have yet to find a load that a .223 won't shoot well.

Both are fantastic rounds no doubt about it but if you are even remotely limited on funds and you don't already have one this is a no brainer .223 all the way.

I will be the first to admit I used to think the .223 was kind of a turd. Even though a AR15 was probably the first rifle I ever personally bought I didn't give it much credit above my 22mag. All that did was show my ignorance. Age and knowledge has a way of redefining those things we once thought important. I now have 3 different .223's and wouldn't part with any of them and if I ever did it would only be to replace it with another .223

I never gave the 223 much credit, tho i should have. I decided to go with the 223wssm because of what i read on paper. Faster-flatter-more energy...... lalalala you know the story. Long story short, I sold it and now am looking hard at the 22-250 and 223 both. Im leaning more towards the 22-250 because it out-performs the 223 plain and simple. I do handload, but that wssm was too tempting to be a barrell burner! the 250 can be as well, but it seems the ammo is more available from many manufacturers for plinking in order to get once fired brass to play with. What ever you decide both are great for the 2-400 yd coyote and more depending on what your shooting at (rock-chucks etc.)
Definately look hard at some of the posts on here(futre plans for the rifle etc!) These guys know thier stuff and alot of em have been there done that and thier information could save you ALOT of $ inthe long run!

Side note, make sure you get a chrome lined bbl especially if you go with the speed of the 22- 250. And KEEP IT CLEAN!!! Those barn burners tend to foul horribly in some cases and may cause some accuracy issues if you plan on shooting all day at a P-dog town, bring your cleaning supplies.

I'd go with(and did when I was in the same position as you a few years ago) the 22-250. Why? I was looking for a decent varmint rifle that in a pinch could take a blacktail down cleanly. I figured the 22-250 although small for deer would perform better than the 223. Last deer season I was nothing but impressed with the performance of my 22-250 with quality soft point bullets. I only used it because of my comfort level with the firearm and am currently looking for a better deer rifle in a cartridge more suited to the task.

Both are fantastic calibers. I suggest the 223 over the 22-250 simply based on cost per shot. allows for more shooting overall. This round is also easier on barrel life. The little 223 is also an honest long range performer (see Mysticplayers acticle on the 223 to a mile project! definately worth the read). There is also less recoil (albeit very little difference and most will say it is a moot point) but that can be a plus in learning and practicing good follow through during the shot sequence. nothing beats a good follow through and the more comfortably one can practice this the better.

I just bought a 223 so that must be the right decision. Seriously though, I went for the 223 because of cost and I do handload. The cost of reloading are also cheaper for the 223 and for me it is all about getting out there to shoot.

If you want shear performance at 200-300 yards then a .22-250 with any bullet would be hard to beat. If you want to LEARN to shoot then go with the .223. At the ranges you mentioned, the .22-250 in pretty much point and shoot. Unless you just want to practise fundamentals go with the .223. If you really want to LEARN something, get an accurate .22 and shoot it out to 300+ yards. You will get a good lesson on exterior ballistics and fundamentals. And that's as cheap as it gets, except for air guns.

My vote goes to the .223: cheaper, most have a faster twist for longer-higher BC bullets, barrels seem to last forever, and did I say cheaper?

Don't rule out the surplus ammo. With 62gr (issue) green tips a buddy and I are very consistent out to 800 yards with his SPR. If your rifle likes them then go for it.

My suggestion is for the 22-250. I bought a 223 and used it for a couple of years and did not like it. I mainly shoot prairie dogs and it is just not flat shooting enough for me. The 223 would simply tip the prairie dogs over or give them a little toss at longer ranges where the 22-250 is amazing.

I guess it depends on what you want to do with it, but the 223 didn't have enough punch for what I was trying to do.

Keep in mind that cheap .223 ammo is cheap ammo. If you want maximum accuracy at long range you definitely are not going to be shooting the surplus ammo. In the .223 for long range using 80 gr. bullets are usually seated long so they are fed 1 at a time. Not a problem for a bolt gun but in an ar15 it sux. If you are going to limit yourself to these 2 calibers then the .22-250 is more robust. the .223 is cheap and effective range is usually around 300 yards.

Keep in mind that cheap .223 ammo is cheap ammo. If you want maximum accuracy at long range you definitely are not going to be shooting the surplus ammo. In the .223 for long range using 80 gr. bullets are usually seated long so they are fed 1 at a time. Not a problem for a bolt gun but in an ar15 it sux. If you are going to limit yourself to these 2 calibers then the .22-250 is more robust. the .223 is cheap and effective range is usually around 300 yards.
I mus beg to differ. My 50 grain vmax load can can put a magazine of ammo into a 4 inch circle from 600 yards. The 50 grain bullet will make you become an expert at wind reading but it can be done. You can kill clean with a .223 at extended ranges. At 450 yards my load is still pushing the 50 grain vmax at over 1800 fps. Thats fast enough to kill anything coyote and smaller. At 600 it still supersonic( 1400 fps) so a well place round can get it done. As I stated before YOU HAD BETTER BE AN EXPERT WIND READER because you are going to get pushed around. Now if you cut the range back to 300 yards. that 50 grain vmax bullet isn't going to be in the air long enough to get pushed that much by the wind. SPEED KILLS.

26 grains of VV N150
Wolf .223 primers
Hornaday 50 vmax bullets
COAL 2.234

I mus beg to differ. My 50 grain vmax load can can put a magazine of ammo into a 4 inch circle from 600 yards. The 50 grain bullet will make you become an expert at wind reading but it can be done. You can kill clean with a .223 at extended ranges. At 450 yards my load is still pushing the 50 grain vmax at over 1800 fps. Thats fast enough to kill anything coyote and smaller. At 600 it still supersonic( 1400 fps) so a well place round can get it done. As I stated before YOU HAD BETTER BE AN EXPERT WIND READER because you are going to get pushed around. Now if you cut the range back to 300 yards. that 50 grain vmax bullet isn't going to be in the air long enough to get pushed that much by the wind. SPEED KILLS.

26 grains of VV N150
Wolf .223 primers
Hornaday 50 vmax bullets
COAL 2.234

Apparently reading comprehension isn't your strong suit lol peace brother. My first 2 sentences talked about cheap surplus ammo as being cheap meaning not very accurate and I will add it's fun but when I want to get serious and shoot the wing off of a fly at 300 yards I use handloads. You try to use for your argument that your expensive V V handload defeats my argument lol. my point exactle. .223 sux at over 300 yards unless you handload. But my point is if you handload why not get the best! Handloading and components are expensive and time consuming so y not send rockets down range instead of salt size lead? Or if you are going to spend lots of time and money on it y not do it much better as money and time are about the same? For 600 yard animal kills the .223 is not the ideal. Yep you kill some, but how many do you wound? The fact is the 6.5mm grendel sends 3 times the lead and has superior accuracy at long range. Humane kills are higher. This is from a magazine fed ar15 with no seated long one shot at a time target shooter bs. Defend your mediocre cartridge all you want, everyone knows ,223 has sucked since the Vietnam war and still does. Today we have much better options from target barreled guns at budget prices. The you state you have to be a wind expert lol experts would use a bullet like a 6.5mm that bucks wind much better that the mouse cartridge .223. The .223 was a **** poor cartridge in 1965 and now it still is crap given that bullets like the 6.5 are vastly superior in performance. The only thing the .223 has going for it is it can be cheap if you buy the surplus ammo that the military doesn't want.

I know someone who killed a bear with a .223. But if I go bear hunting I sure as hell will not use a .223. Yep most people use .223 in an ar15 but since we are on this board, those who are knowledgeable in firearms know there is better equipment than what is sold at the local sporting goods store at times.

Given that you are considering the 22-250 tells me you want more than a surplus fed .223. 22-250 if that is what you are limited to but for the same money the 6.5 mm's are the best in my opinion and some others in a small cased round.

Last edited:
Seems to be a bit of a ****ing match here folks. Yes, the .223 has its limitations, but under 400 yards it is a better option (even in an AR).

Some people like to shoot lead at eleventy billion feet per second and have a straight line from bore to target at 600 yards, and good for them. But that is not the end all - be all of shooting.

I believe you mentioned 300 yards-ish for your rifle. .223 will be an excellent choice for you, and here is why. (we will skip the aforemented "cheap" arguement as both sides seem to agree on that front).

Ammo is available for this. Check out: Ammunition - .223/5.56

You can find pretty much everything from 55gr FMJ to 62gr soft points to 69gr HP match ammo to just about everything else. So ammo is available.

Barrel life is longer in a .223 than in a 22-250. (Truthfully, I doubt you will shoot enough to really burn out a barrel unless you are shooting 1000 rounds a week, even in 22-250)

A .223 will blow up small varmints (rabbits and p-dogs) and kill coyotes up to AT LEAST 300 yards. I am assuming this is somewhat of a learning experience for you, so lets keep things reasonable.

No matter what you go with, take care of your rifle and it will take care of you.

I hope that this info was somewhat helpful for you. Yes, there are other cartridges, yes there are better cartridges other than .223, but no matter what you get, learn to shoot it, not just blow through ammo.

Seems to be a bit of a ****ing match here folks. Yes, the .223 has its limitations, but under 400 yards it is a better option (even in an AR).

Some people like to shoot lead at eleventy billion feet per second and have a straight line from bore to target at 600 yards, and good for them. But that is not the end all - be all of shooting.

I believe you mentioned 300 yards-ish for your rifle. .223 will be an excellent choice for you, and here is why. (we will skip the aforemented "cheap" arguement as both sides seem to agree on that front).

Ammo is available for this. Check out: Ammunition - .223/5.56

You can find pretty much everything from 55gr FMJ to 62gr soft points to 69gr HP match ammo to just about everything else. So ammo is available.

Barrel life is longer in a .223 than in a 22-250. (Truthfully, I doubt you will shoot enough to really burn out a barrel unless you are shooting 1000 rounds a week, even in 22-250)

A .223 will blow up small varmints (rabbits and p-dogs) and kill coyotes up to AT LEAST 300 yards. I am assuming this is somewhat of a learning experience for you, so lets keep things reasonable.

No matter what you go with, take care of your rifle and it will take care of you.

I hope that this info was somewhat helpful for you. Yes, there are other cartridges, yes there are better cartridges other than .223, but no matter what you get, learn to shoot it, not just blow through ammo.
Eleventy billion, now that's funny
friend, your words speak the truth. You are so right when you say that maximum speed isn't the be all end all.(it sure is fun though) I may not have chosen my words wisely so that may be why relating my experiences with the .223 sounded like kind of a ****ing contest. In any rate regardless of the little mouse guns limitations, its a fine cartridge for what it was meant to do. If you put a little extra wood on the fire it can surprise you. As you eloquently stated take care of the gun and the gun will take care of you...........This is my rifle, there are many like but this one is mine.
shoot strait and often
scooter.

Well for your bi-pod I recommend the Blackhawk 6 inch to 9 inch its great. The battle between the 223 and 22-250 will live on but I recommend the 22-250 for more range even though the cost of 22-250 is more I like it better. I've shot 600 yards with my 22-250 in 5 inch groups so your choice.gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts