25wby advice

The short neck poses no issue and is safe. Firing the brass will lengthen it, but it will take time. I form 375 Weatherby from H&H brass and it shortens, still hasn't lengthened where it needs trimming.
I also form 300 Weatherby and 340 Weatherby from H&H brass and that requires trimming after forming but does not grow for some time. Sizing your brass causes growth…
I have 257 Weatherby and 270 Weatherby and I only ever formed 1 case from 270 to 257, I didn't note a difference in length.

Cheers.

I would look for some cheap factory ammo on sale. Get some shoot and you have fireformed brass with the proper head stamp. JMO
My local Scheels carry these, IIRC, for $50/20. The others are twice as much.
.257 WBY ammo.jpg

As Calvin45 stated I had 0 problems necking brass to 257 wby, I have been doing it for the past nine or ten yrs. When starting with the 7mm mag brass you will be a little short but hasn't been a problem for me. The last ones I did were Norma brass I brought new. You can save a good bit of cash this way. Good luck to you.

Gunbroker. Hope this gives you a Bang ❗😂
Just received some Norma from Midway yesterday 50 count. Was $97 plus $11 shipping a bit more than 6 months ago. I've seen Hornady cheaper but... Drifters Gear has sine 257. Scheels has Weatherby loaded Hornady 100 gr. for $64. Cheaper than 20 Weatherby brass. 😁

Last edited:
Hmmm, wish I had access to that. All I could find when I bought my Accumark off a client was 100g Barnes TTSX @ $128 AUD per box, I bought 5…

Cheers.
Local here had 257 Bee 100 gr. Barnes TTSX for $112 ! I for 257 Weatherby with 100 gr. Hornady at Scheels for $64. I grabbed a box. Cheaper than 20 Weatherby bass. Which I'm sure is Norma. $97 for 50 Norma at Midway. I have a huge amount of 7mm Rem Mag. I'm going to try.

In my last 257 weatherby barrel I used 7mm Rem Mag. 264 win mag, and 270 weatherby brass to make form and 257 weatherby brass.

I sized them all in 1 pass and then did a light fire form load to final form them. I never neck turned or did anything else beside shoot and load.

I never had an issue with the brass, and with a factory Weatherby Vanguard was capable of about .75" MOA accuracy consistently.

The 264 brass was Winchester, and the 7mm brass was remington. I would normally get about 4-6 loads from a case before the primer pockets got to loose or the neck cracked.

The new barrel gets real 257 weatherby brass so I don't have to waste barrel life on fire forming.