.257cal 110gr AccuBond

Johnny K.,

I agree this would be a fine bullet for the 257 rounds.

I find it interesting they chose the 110 gr weight. I have been saying for years that the 115 gr tipped bullets are to long for the standard 1-10 twist out of the most popular 25 caliber round, the 25-06.

Perhaps Nosler did some real accuracy testing with factory rifles and discovered the same, that some factory 25-06 rifles simply will not accurately handle the 115 gr tipped bullets.

Why else would they not use the heavier weights as they have with the other Accubonds such as teh 160 gr 7mm and the 200 gr 308 versions that came out first in their caliber families.

Good bullets and this should be another good one.

For me though, when I use my 257 STW on big deer, it will be loaded with the Wildcat 130 gr Bonded Core FBHP. I have been developing a load in one of my customers rifles I just finished building and using Retumbo, this bullet is averaging 1/2 moa and velocities are up to 3500 fps from the 26" barrel.

I will be switching to virgin brass as I work up from here to get a more accurate judgement of pressures.

Still I suspect a 25-06 would have trouble getting enough RPMs on this bullet to stabilize it in a standard twist barrel.

I ageee the 110 gr, 257 Accubond will be a great hunting bullet.

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby,
I was suprised at that weight pill also. I have had good success with most 100gr (and lighter) bullets in my .25-06. I tried the 115gr Ballistic Tips once and accuracy was around 1/2". I must have borrowed a dozen or so from a buddy because I don't have the remainder of the box.
I've been keying in on articles about the .257 STW/.257 Hot Tomale. Interesting round. Wonder what the barrel life would be like. How's the recoil? I have a M700 Mag action (formerly 7mag) that may need a quarter bore barrel soon. Johnny K.

grin.gif
can't wait to stuff some in my .257 ackley.

Its a 100gr bullet not 110gr. Im pretty
sure thats a typo on midway's site.
They will be out in december. They are making a 150gr .308 and also a 180gr .338

Johnny K.

THe 257 STW rifles I have been building are getting 1000 to 1200 rounds of very useful big game accuracy barrel life.

I use Lilja stainless barrels with 3 groove rifling and this seems to help limit throat erosion.

A tight throat is also very important to getting decent barrel life with this hot round.

Recoil with top end loads(100 gr at +4000 fps and 115 gr at +3700 fps, 130 gr at +3500 fps) is very similar to a 7mm Rem Mag shooting a 140 gr bullet in similar weigh rifles.

I just sent a rifle out the door fitted with a Holland QD brake that kicked about the same as my sporter weight 22-250 rifles. This rifle weighed 7 3/4 lbs with a 27" barrel.

Your 700 action would be perfect, no action work needed, just rebarrel adn do the other accuracy work and you would be up and running with one of the fastest and flattest shooting rifles out to 500 yards on the planet.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Speed Demon,
100gr is fine with me also. Means less load development. I wonder why Nosler doesn't have anything out on this yet.

Kirby,
I just may go with the .257STW. I haven't made up my mind on the caliber for a new tube yet. I have quite a bit of 7mmRM brass that I bought cheap at a gun show right after I got this Sendero. It's a case of 500 that I haven't been completely through 3 times. Sounds like barrel life and recoil would be similar to what I have with current barrel/caliber. Johnny K.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.