7mm 110gr TTSX keyholing

So my Dad and cousin went and shot his Rem 700 7rem mag today. They used a mild load of AA-3100 that we use for my sister's rifle (shoots 1/2moa in hers) and it keyholed. The first two shots were fine, the next two keyholed. They were shooting at 25 yards just to get it on paper. Even a super slow twist and a long bullet shouldn't keyhole that quickly.

I had them bring the rifle over so I could check it out. Ammo was fine. The barrel measured a 1/10 maybe a 1/10.25. I ran the bullet in the Berger stability calculator and it popped out a 1.96 SG, plenty stable.

So I'm really not sure what could be the issue, I thought perhaps they "bounced" the bullet into the target and they both said no.

The only other thing I can think of is if the bullets are slightly undersized and not getting enough engraving pressure to stabilize them?

Thoughts? Am I missing something obvious???
Without knowing this rifle's history: I bought a used .30-06 that would put 2 through the same hole, the 3rd one wild & key holing at 100 yds. (When cleaned the pattern repeated. Without cleaning wild hits just continued)
THE shooter didn't matter, the ammo didn't matter. (With no bore scope I could only guess that it was throat erosion)
My biased, unprofessional guess is that maybe your barrel is shot-out?

I saw something like this once checking my rifle after missing a coyote. Turns out I was skipping bullets off the hood of my old fordšŸ˜‚. Dang ARs and their tall sights. And for the record, the scope had shifted a few inches.

I'm curious if shooting at a close up target caused the muzzle to point down to the edge of the bench, just like in my case.
šŸ˜„ I once saw where a man put 2 rounds through the tailgate of his new Silverado.

The barrel measured a 1/10 maybe a 1/10.25. I ran the bullet in the Berger stability calculator and it popped out a 1.96 SG, plenty stable.
My guess would be not enough twist.
That is also my WAG. Barnes used a 1:9.5" on their test loads for their reloading manual.

1694523680676.png

However, it seems SG is GTG, as OP noted!

1694526244423.png

@adam32+P happy safe hunting.

Last edited:
I've shot bullets that 'should' be stable that have keyholed. I'd try increasing velocity to see if that stabilizes the bullet. My concern would be that the bullet destabilizes when it reaches the velocity you're shooting now. Try a 120 or 140gr mono? Good luck!

Does the rifle have a muzzle brake? If it does the bullet could be striking the inside as it exits the barrel. If it has a muzzle brake, remove it from the rifle and drop a bullet into to it to see if it gets hung up. A chain saw file can be used to reduce the raised part inside the brake if necessary.
My thought as well. When bullets contact brakes bad things happen. Don't ask how I know.

No brake on the rifle, it's a bone stock Rem 700 BDL.

Rifling "looks" nice and sharp, the rifle was nearly new when he bought it and he's shot it very few times, easily less than 60.

I'll go shoot it myself this week. I just wasn't sure if I was overlooking something obvious. I'm glad most of you are stumped too lol.

So my Dad and cousin went and shot his Rem 700 7rem mag today. They used a mild load of AA-3100 that we use for my sister's rifle (shoots 1/2moa in hers) and it keyholed. The first two shots were fine, the next two keyholed. They were shooting at 25 yards just to get it on paper. Even a super slow twist and a long bullet shouldn't keyhole that quickly.

I had them bring the rifle over so I could check it out. Ammo was fine. The barrel measured a 1/10 maybe a 1/10.25. I ran the bullet in the Berger stability calculator and it popped out a 1.96 SG, plenty stable.

So I'm really not sure what could be the issue, I thought perhaps they "bounced" the bullet into the target and they both said no.

The only other thing I can think of is if the bullets are slightly undersized and not getting enough engraving pressure to stabilize them?

Thoughts? Am I missing something obvious???
What chamfer do you have on the brass. My "guess" is that the chamfer might be scrapping the bullet alittle and that's a possible cause of undersized bullets. Maybe try a deep VLD chamfer.

The problem is that the rifle doesn't like California's laws. It'll probably shoot great in another state.šŸ¤£
I'd pull a round or 2 and weigh the powder and see if there is any corrosion or neck welding. Any pressure signs on the fired brass?
IMO most of the hunters down there don't appreciate the mandate. And many do hunt out of state when they can. It's just pretty expensive to do so.

No brake on the rifle, it's a bone stock Rem 700 BDL.

Rifling "looks" nice and sharp, the rifle was nearly new when he bought it and he's shot it very few times, easily less than 60.

I'll go shoot it myself this week. I just wasn't sure if I was overlooking something obvious. I'm glad most of you are stumped too lol.
Sometimes, you must see for yourself and start troubleshooting from observation. Good luck!