.257 Whitetail Hunting Bullets.

redsnow

Guys, I'm looking for a dependable bullet for West Virginia sized deer. Our deer will range in weight up to 160 pounds dressed, most will go around 130# or less. I'm shooting a M700 25-06 Remington.

I've killed quite a few deer and 3 bear with my 25-06's, it's a good little gun. The problem is, sometimes (most times) the bullet will explode inside, and I don't get an exit wound. (I'd been shooting 90gr Sierra HPBT's, I know, light bullet for deer) No big deal if the animal drops, but I'm concerned that if I make a semi-bad shot, the animal will run, and I won't have a blood trail.

A few years ago I shot a deer ridge-to-ridge, very steep downhill shot, the deer dropped, but if it would have ran, being shot high on it's back, I'd have nothing to trail. That bothers me.

I hunt with the gun, walking, still hunting and most shots will be 200 yards or less. What I'm looking for is a bullet that will open up quick, and drive on through.

Any suggestions?

115 Nosler partition. It expands quickly usually shedding the front half of the bullet in shrapnel but the back half keeps on trucking. As you have experienced the 25-06 is one great kill them in their tracks caliber.

I've always used Sierra 100gr. and 117gr. Game King bullets in my 25-06. Last year I dropped a nice 8 point buck with a neck shot using the 117gr. bullet here in N.E. PA. Both those bullets shoot 1/4 inch groups out of my Browning X bolt at 100 yards. Winchester brass, CCI BR2 primer, H.4350 powder for the 100 gr.bullet and IMR 4831 powder for the 117 gr. bullet. The best thing about the Sierra bullets is they don't cost alot, they are accurate , they always get the job done and I've never lost a deer or any other animal because of poor bullet performance. Just saying, thats what works for me. There is better bullets out there if you don't mind the extra cost.

I agree with RT2506 that the Nosler Partition is a great choice. Another great choice is the Nosler Accubond. It works like a partition but it has a higher BC which makes it better for long shots and in many guns it is more accurate than the partition.

The reason that I did not mention the 110 Accubond is because I personally have not used it. I do use the 130 AB in my 264 Win Mag and it is awesome. One of the best deep penetrating bullets that expands good for bigger deer and would be the bullet that I would use if I ever went to shoot an elk with my 25-06 would be the old 120 gr Speer Grand Slam, the one that has the really hard lead in the base and the soft lead in the nose. I have shot deer from stem to stern with this bullet. I have some stock piled back in case the opportunity comes up. The reason that I did not mention the Speer Grand Slam is because I have not seen ANY Speer bullets for sale in a few years. My favorite deer bullet is the 117 Sierra Pro Hunter flat base but the OP ask for a bullet that would exit on shots inside 200 yards. The 115 gr Nosler Partition is the only bullet that I have enough experience with to recommend for this application. Plus I have actually seen these bullets for sale lately. :D

The 115 TSX has been real good through and through every time from my 257 wby with blood trails a blind man can follow. The 115 VLD puts these VA whitetails on the ground in a hurry as well sometimes I don't go through though usually when closer ranges are encountered.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

Well, I've had a couple friends recommend the 100 gr Partition, I can't find it listed in my catalogs. The 115gr Partitions are listed.

And another friend shoots 100 gr X=bullets. He's killed a pile of deer with it.

I looked on Nosler's website, looking at their E-tip bullet. 100 gr. I guess it's a fairly new bullet, but that might be what I need. Anyone with any experience with that bullet?

Nosler does have a short video showing what the E-tip bullet is supposed to do. Maybe I'll start another thread, in the bullet section?

Thanks for the comments.

I would have to say take a look at the nosler Bt. I shoot the 115 ballistic tip out of my Roy. I have dropped six deer this year alone all bullets exited and massive wounds. Shots ranging from 62 yards to 487. I was really worried about that bullet exploding at the 62 yard range cause I'm pushing the bullet much faster than its max speed. That being said all deer that where shot under 100 yards had nice exit holes. Also clipped both shoulders on a nice doe at 457 yards and still got a nice massive wound channel. It would be this bullet or the partitions.

100 gr partition, been using it for years in my 25-06, most shots inside 80 yards, you'll get a exit hole on most any hits but a hard quartering..

I've been using 110 grain Accubonds in my 2506 for years. Dropped a WV buck in its tracks at 430 yards with one. Went thru both shoulders and exited. Also have killed deer under 100 yards with it. Great bullet!!

I shoot a 25 wssm, my go to bullet is a 115 gr ballistic tip, at 3000 fps it has no peers for wv sized deer, I've tried the accubonds in this cartridge, they mirror the performance of the BT's.
RR

Guys, I'm looking for a dependable bullet for West Virginia sized deer. Our deer will range in weight up to 160 pounds dressed, most will go around 130# or less. I'm shooting a M700 25-06 Remington.

I've killed quite a few deer and 3 bear with my 25-06's, it's a good little gun. The problem is, sometimes (most times) the bullet will explode inside, and I don't get an exit wound. (I'd been shooting 90gr Sierra HPBT's, I know, light bullet for deer) No big deal if the animal drops, but I'm concerned that if I make a semi-bad shot, the animal will run, and I won't have a blood trail.

A few years ago I shot a deer ridge-to-ridge, very steep downhill shot, the deer dropped, but if it would have ran, being shot high on it's back, I'd have nothing to trail. That bothers me.

I hunt with the gun, walking, still hunting and most shots will be 200 yards or less. What I'm looking for is a bullet that will open up quick, and drive on through.

Any suggestions?

Take a look at this video. He talks about using the 80gr .257 Weatherby.

Last edited by a moderator:

Recent Posts