257 Weatherby Bullet Options

The highest bc in 25 that will shoot from a 10 is randy's 110. These Bibb bullets have a . 520 which is real good for a 25. They shoot and kill great. For sure the cup and cores come apart real explosive like but if you keep your shots in the ribs for the lung explosion you don't lose meat. Customers have great luck with accubonds and of course partitions always work but have a low bc. Hey Nosler, put a plastic tip in some partitions and up the bc. More long range hunters would use them if you got the bc close to the accubonds.
Shep
Why have Nosler not done this? It seems a no brainer.

I mentioned 39 animals taken with the 115 Berger VLD previously. None of the bullets had erratic performance. Typically the bullet went in several inches then began to expand. Most exited. Closest coues wt kill was 237 yds. 240 and 276 were the other closest shots. None blew up. Of course if a double shoulder shot was to be taken it would mess up plenty of meat something any of the other bullets would do.

With a 1 in 10 twist barrel the 115 Berger VLD is easily found on line and it has the highest BC for a 1in 10 twist than all the other bullets mentioned except the BIB bullet. The main reason for using the 115 VLD is for those longer shots on coues wt by me and my friends.

I had a 28" 1:10" .25-06AI for about 11 or 12 years. Killed a bunch of mulies and my only Coues with it.
100 SMK @ 3590, 100TTSX @ 3600+, or 115 Berger HVLD @ 3450. Nothing ever took more than 20 yards on a mad dash to die. Most dropped at the shot. From about 80 yards to 488.
Laser beam flat. Scalpel accurate.

I used 115ballistic tips and 115vlds, nearly same load of 7828 and left my die the same for both.
Aside from those the only other bullets I would try in a 10 twist would be the 92gr hammer hunter. When ur running at wby speeds, it can really compensate for lack of bc but for lighter bullets I found accuracy worked better with monos because of the long jump the extra body of a 90gr gmx say was better than the 90gr blitz king. The 115s hunt just fine, the most disappointed I was in the ballistic tip performance was about 50feet away but the deer still died, at 200yards they just smash deer

Alot to chew on gents.....I have used the Bergers in my 300 win mag and mixed results on anything lighter than 215 grains. I do like the slippery BC of the 115 though. Used the nosler CT 115 grain in my 25-06 with decent results but I do not think it will handle the high velocity of the Bee. It s realy down to the game and bullet performance. It could be 75 yards or 600 in Alberta, could be a 450 pound muley buck or Antelope down south. I set up so hard for my Antelope hunt thinking 400 yards this year and it was 110 yards, not complaining but thats hunting. I do play with a ballistic program, swapping weight, velocities, and Bc's but this post was down to performance on game. The advice has been fantastic. Liking the Swift Scirocco II's though. No decision yet.

Joyce Hornady was a fan of the .257 Wby and as such saw to the development of a bullet designed for it. His 120gr. HP met with his final approval and he used it extensively. Pretty stout bullet for a cup & core design. I have been a fan of it for years, and now that it's been discontinued for a bit I'm down to the last half box of them. I'll be needing a good replacement.

With that said, considering what your intentions are, the bullet construction is probably as important, if not more important than the B.C. Be realistic with the max distance you'll shoot, consider the least distance you may take a shot at game and add that into the beginning of your quest. Depending on what you're hunting, you may want more than one choice. I'd personally be looking at the TTSX, or accubonds first. In the past I tried the Sirocco with poor accuracy results and never tried them again.

Got a 257 Bee coming today, love new rifles, never shot this caliber but have been reviewing a ton of loading data and the high velocities of this caliber. Most streamlined bullet appears to be the Berger 115 but I noticed a lot of gents have elected to drive the 100 grain Barnes TTSX to 3600 fps. Other bullets I have are the 110 grain Accubond and 110 grain Hornady Innerbond, real question, mono bullet at high speeds or lower speeds with cup and core? Any failures of the TTSX to penetrate and mushroom? Mostly big whitetails up in Alberta but could be the occasional elk or bear. Best direction to start loading in?
Those 115 Bergers are real nice but bullets like Nosler ballistic tip driven faster than 3300 fps will be ripping the skins off cup and core type bullets and 257 weatherby only knows how to make bullets scream🙉 So look for something solid and turn up that wick🤠 RMB makes great bullets but I'm not sure in this caliber?

Looking hard at the 100 grain Swift Scirocco..good BC, the 110 grain Accubond (BC 418) as they are bonded.
If things are like the used to be Swift does not want to talk to you about how they get their BC numbers, I tried. If I believed their 130 Gr. 6.5 had the BC they say (.571) I would sure use it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.