257 Weatherby Bullet Options

Double Dropper

Got a 257 Bee coming today, love new rifles, never shot this caliber but have been reviewing a ton of loading data and the high velocities of this caliber. Most streamlined bullet appears to be the Berger 115 but I noticed a lot of gents have elected to drive the 100 grain Barnes TTSX to 3600 fps. Other bullets I have are the 110 grain Accubond and 110 grain Hornady Innerbond, real question, mono bullet at high speeds or lower speeds with cup and core? Any failures of the TTSX to penetrate and mushroom? Mostly big whitetails up in Alberta but could be the occasional elk or bear. Best direction to start loading in?

In my experience with 25 cal rifles with cup and core bullets impact velocity much over 3100 fps is not desirable. They really come apart. With the mono bullets 2000 fps is the lowest impact velocity I want to work around for good expansion. The bonded bullets like the Accubond work very well at a wide range of velocities. On animals as large as Elk I would prefer more bullet weight than 100 gr. Bear, if it is black bear you will be ok with what ever you want to use for deer but if it is grizz pack more rifle pushing 200 gr+ bone crushing bullets. If you don't expect to shoot really long range don't over look the old 115 gr Nosler Partition for deer.

We've loaded for several .257 Wbys, all are killing mule deer and antelope using Berger 115gr VLDH and H1000. I'm sure our member from Tucson will agree, he builds custom .257 Wbys.
I would assume that you continue to load those because they are working. I have a Sendero in 25-06AI, I thought I might try those. I know the there is a link about seating length with Bergers but what is you experience concerning Seating depths with your loads?

I would assume that you continue to load those because they are working. I have a Sendero in 25-06AI, I thought I might try those. I know the there is a link about seating length with Bergers but what is you experience concerning Seating depths with your loads?

They work in several rifles owned by myself and family. Shot placement, of course is important. Seated a bit longer than Berger manual spec, but the lands measurement tells where. These are 1:10 factory .257 Wby Mark V's, not faster twist customs.

The highest bc in 25 that will shoot from a 10 is randy's 110. These Bibb bullets have a . 520 which is real good for a 25. They shoot and kill great. For sure the cup and cores come apart real explosive like but if you keep your shots in the ribs for the lung explosion you don't lose meat. Customers have great luck with accubonds and of course partitions always work but have a low bc. Hey Nosler, put a plastic tip in some partitions and up the bc. More long range hunters would use them if you got the bc close to the accubonds.
Shep

I shoot the 100 TTSX in my .257 WBY Vanguard. They've performed well even at extreme velocities at <100 yards on mule deer. A bit of hamburger, but any hunting bullet will do that at such high speeds. My longest hunting experience with them is a bit more than 400 yards on antelope & mulies. I've never recovered a bullet.

I used Accubonds in this rifle years ago but got tired of throwing half of the animal away. But, I'm gradually becoming a through-the shoulder kind of guy. Barnes at high speed are perfect for that.

If someone made a nice heavy .257 bullet, I'd seriously consider rebarreling to 1:8.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.