257 WBY Load Recipe/ 700 Problems

justinblafleur

Hello to all.

This is my first post and I am in need of some assistance

Gun - 257 WBY Magnum in Remington 700. 26" SS Barrel (30 Rounds)

Optics - Swarovski Z5 5-25 X 52

I have bought the WBY factor ammo. 100 GR, 110 Accubonds, 120 GR.

None of these will shoot except the 100 GR. The 100 GR will make about a 3" group. All other were all over the place 6-8" groups up, down, left and right.

I am looking for a load recipe to shoot 110 GR or 100 GR Bullets.

With the shortage of powder, which powder is the best for producing maximum velocity (3500-3600 +) that is available. 7828?

What bullets have best accuracy out to long ranges 400 +.

What is the best primer to use?

If anyone has a tried and tested recipe they are willing to share I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, if anyone has had this trouble with the 257 WBY in remington 700 feel free to add any solutions you have

My best loads come from H-1000 but I only use 100 grain bullets Mostly NBT or Partitions with a few Sierras. I have not tried anything heavier yet though I have some 115 I may try out. My gun is a Mark-V but that shouldn't matter much. But if your groups are that large I would look into the stock,action screw torque,mounts,rings,crown,ect first.

I shoot the 100 grain Barnes with retumbo, never even looked at anything else, it was right there. H1000 should work too

Justin, welcome, does your 700 have freebore? First check the areas Jim in Cali mentioned. Perhaps the factory ammo is loaded factoring the freebore found in Weatherby rifles. My son and I have great groups with H1000, 215M primers and Berger 115 gr VLD's through our Weatherby rifles. Maybe some forum members can help with the freebore effects and if the 700 has freebore. We both found Wby factory ammo from a gun shop going out of business for $30 a box, shot only fair for us. Hope you figure out the issue, good luck.

I have a 700 in 257 wby. Bought it brand new, went to shoot it the bolt wouldnt close with case in chamber. Took it to gun smith to find out that he had to run his reamer in because remington didnt cut it deep enough. Got it back after trigger job ect. Shooting 100gr nosler btips with rel 22 .3 groups at 100yrds.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.