25 WSSM bullet selection for hunting

My kids both hunt with a 25 wssm for the last 10 years and taking a mule deer or two some years and a couple antelope along the way. It's a very curious round indeed. I used my sons one year on a whitetail doe hunt up north Idaho and worked beautifully. So this year we used my 27 Sherman mag with the bullet I'm getting to which is a trex by maker bullets. The one in the picture with my daughter is a 160gr T-Rex. You can see there would have been a blood trail if she was able to run but instead she dropped right there.
View attachment 523910View attachment 523911

So I'm thinking about building me one and run the 115gr trex. Been trying to decide on a short action 25 for some time. I'm not dead set yet but here is what I got so far.
View attachment 523912
That's a funny lookin round for
Sure! 🤣

New member here, but I was hoping to get some insight on bullet selection for high speed .257 cartridges ( 257 Wtby, 25-06 or 25 WSSM). I bought a used 25 WSSM last year in a Browning A-Bolt II and I love the rifle. I bought what bullets I could find in stores and several brands of used bullets from and estate sale. I settled on loading Barnes 100gr. TTSX and shot a decent buck with it at the end of the 2022 season. I purposely made a length ways shot so that I could recover the bullet and inspect it. The deer was DRT and bullet penetration was great almost going the full length of the deer. My concern was that the Barnes bullet had shed all of its petals and what was left was a .257 sized projectile with no mushroom. Had the bullet exited, I would have not have had a blood trail If the deer had ran. I think it would be better to sacrifice some penetration to gain expansion and create a larger wound channel. Thinking of trying a bonded bullet like a Nosler AB, Swift Scirocco II's or maybe a Nosler partition. Anybody have any experience, suggestions or recommendations?
Sierra 90 grain bthp game king! Its been my favorite quarter bore bullet for a couple decades now.

@Pugh26,

Ok, so the Barnes actually behaved like a Hammer or Cutting Edge bullet.

Excellent!!

I shoot several different 25 caliber rifles and cartridges.
250 Savage
257 Roberts
257 Roberts AI
25 WSSM
25-06
257 WBY Mag

While i haven't tried the mono bullets in 25 caliber yet, I've shot darn near every cup & core bullet out there.

All will put game down.

But some of the most effective ones don't always give an exit wound.

My 2 most used bullets are the 115gr Nosler Ballistic Tip and the 115 gr Berger VLD Hunting.

The Ballistic Tips hold together well. Always an exit, but never had a deer go more than 30 yards with one exception.
(The 100gr NBT from my 250 Savage after hitting a branch would be the only exception)

The Berger VLD, i haven't had an exit wound yet. Furthest a deer has gone is 20 yards. (That doe was at 400 yards. Bullet sized entrance wound. Blood everywhere!! Destroyed both lungs and heart. Jacket under offside hide. Lost about 2" of rib meat on entrance side, 1" on off side. )
If shot within 100 yards, they mostly just drop.

My daughter using my 257 Roberts the other year. Shot a 6pt about 70 yards.
"He just kinda puffed up, went straight legged and fell over."
No exit wound.

@Pugh26,

Ok, so the Barnes actually behaved like a Hammer or Cutting Edge bullet.

Excellent!!

I shoot several different 25 caliber rifles and cartridges.
250 Savage
257 Roberts
257 Roberts AI
25 WSSM
25-06
257 WBY Mag

While i haven't tried the mono bullets in 25 caliber yet, I've shot darn near every cup & core bullet out there.

All will put game down.

But some of the most effective ones don't always give an exit wound.

My 2 most used bullets are the 115gr Nosler Ballistic Tip and the 115 gr Berger VLD Hunting.

The Ballistic Tips hold together well. Always an exit, but never had a deer go more than 30 yards with one exception.
(The 100gr NBT from my 250 Savage after hitting a branch would be the only exception)

The Berger VLD, i haven't had an exit wound yet. Furthest a deer has gone is 20 yards. (That doe was at 400 yards. Bullet sized entrance wound. Blood everywhere!! Destroyed both lungs and heart. Jacket under offside hide. Lost about 2" of rib meat on entrance side, 1" on off side. )
If shot within 100 yards, they mostly just drop.

My daughter using my 257 Roberts the other year. Shot a 6pt about 70 yards.
"He just kinda puffed up, went straight legged and fell over."
No exit wound.
Exactly