25 Saum Load Help?

Guana

Just got one of these and looking for some starting loads. The load that it came with was 60gr of wmr and a 100gr Sierra. I was thinking H4831, maybe the H1000 like the guys are using with the 6.5 saum, but not sure where to start. I haven't loaded for something like this that doesn't have a lot of available data. Could find more info on the 25Wsm but wasn't sure how applicable that would be. Start 15% lower since the WSM is a little larger capacity. Any help would be appreciated.

Hey there,

Not sure I'm going to be too much help to you as I don't have a 25 saum.... I do have a 6.5 saum I'm loading around 60.5 gr H1000 and 58.8gr RL26 pushing 140gr bullets and these are pretty mild loads so I'd say around that 60 gr range should put you in the right area maybe start around 56 gr and work your way up until u see pressure... I also have a 25-06 ackley that I load with 59.5gr RL25 pushing 115gr bergers at around 3330 fps and this is getting near the upper end for pressure, powder fill is almost 100%... Haven't measured H2O capacity of my 2506ai cases but I'm sure it's less than your 25 saum cases so, yah, should be able to go around that 59-60 range no problem, but again start low and work up.....

I couldn't even find any data for WMR in anything in my books... I guess winchester(hogdon) has discontinued it... From some reading online it appears it was around the same burn rate as H1000...

Interested to hear how you make out with it, have always liked the quarter bores, love my 25-06ai, but since I got my 6.5 saum I think the rsaum case is the magical...

If I were you I'd try some 115 bergers and reloader 26 if you can find some...

Good luck!
Let us know how you make out with it

Orch

Thanks Orch,

That 55 grain area is what I was thinking too. From what I have read starting at max 25-06 loads should work? How good of an idea is that? I am fine with taking my time to get it where it should be.

All the charts I could find showed the WMR a little faster than H4831. I will look for some rl25 and 26. I was thinking retumbo too. Treat it like they are with the 6.5 and not push it to hard.

The 280 AI is supposed to have the same case capacity as the 7 mm SAUM, so the 25-06 AI should be close to what you have.

It sounds like working up loads for an Ackley its ok to start at max loads for the original? I think I should be ok if I do something like that. I also going to need some saum brass. Is it a straightforward process when necking brass down? I've read quite a bit about it just never done it. My grandpa will be coming out and he's done a lot of 30'06 to 25. It's his reloading equipment I have. I'm looking for 7mm brass but looks like i'm more likely to find 300. Will the 7mm be easier enough to use than the 300 to rule out getting 300?

Last edited:
It sounds like working up loads for an Ackley its ok to start at max loads for the original? I think I should be ok if I do something like that. I also going to need some saum brass. Is it a straightforward process when necking brass down? I've read quite a bit about it just never done it. My grandpa will be coming out and he's done a lot of 30'06 to 25. It's his reloading equipment I have. I'm looking for 7mm brass but looks like i'm more likely to find 300. Will the 7mm be easier enough to use than the 300 to rule out getting 300?

Yep I use near max book loads in 25-06 to fireform to 25-06ai... I actually use lapua 30-06 brass for it, Virgin 30-06----> neck down in one step in my standard 25-06 die----> turn necks to 0.015"----> load near max 25-06 with whatever cheap bullet I have ----> fireform ----> turn necks to clean them up and I make sure just to kiss the shoulder to help prevent a donut.... Some people like to go from 30 to 25cal in more than one step to avoid crushing cases but one step has worked for me in the 2506ai.

I use a 7mm saum full length bushing die and go from 300saum down to 6.5 saum in 3 steps... 300saum nosler brass is easier for me to find here in Canada so that's what I've been using... I turn my necks to 0.015" if I used 7mm saum brass I probably wouldn't need to turn but it's not a huge issue for me to do it... In fact I'd probably turn regardless to even up the necks ... Going down to 25 cal I'd think you will have to turn regardless whether you use 7mm or 300saum.... Also the 7mm saum has a longer neck than 300saum so you may want to mind the OAL of the case if using 7mm, it might end up too long for your chamber and require a trimming if the reamer design was intended for using 300saum as the parent case.... Either way you should be able to make it work

Another option might be 6.5 GAP SAUM brass... Hornady has made a couple runs of brass for GAP, might be able to order some from their web site if they have more in stock... Should be able to go 6.5 to 25 cal in one step, might be able to avoid turning necks too...

Orch

I haven't been able to find any Hornady but live about 30 miles from them and was thinking about giving them a call and seeing if they have any. I am really wanting to make this as simple as possible.

Been a while. Bought some 7mm saum Norma brass. Just ran it through the sizer and it worked good. But the rifle has a tight neck .286 and had to get a Forster hand held neck turner and turned them down to .282 to .283. Loaded up 75gr hps started at 56 gr of imr 4831 and got up to 61. I bought a pound of imr 7977 to use and have some loads worked up to shoot starting at 56 up to 61 in 1/2 gr increments with Speer 120gr boat tails in the once fired brass. It seems to shoot really good. Do not have a chrono but have a friend that might be bringing one out. If not I need to buy one. The brass was pretty expensive and will be trying out annealing sometime.

Been a while. Bought some 7mm saum Norma brass. Just ran it through the sizer and it worked good. But the rifle has a tight neck .286 and had to get a Forster hand held neck turner and turned them down to .282 to .283. Loaded up 75gr hps started at 56 gr of imr 4831 and got up to 61. I bought a pound of imr 7977 to use and have some loads worked up to shoot starting at 56 up to 61 in 1/2 gr increments with Speer 120gr boat tails in the once fired brass. It seems to shoot really good. Do not have a chrono but have a friend that might be bringing one out. If not I need to buy one. The brass was pretty expensive and will be trying out annealing sometime.
Guana, I'm also working on my .25 saum. Are you shooting anything in the 100 gr range, what powders / starting loads are performing for you? As I start shooting I'll post my results as well.

Good timing Ovis! I just shot the loads with Imr7977 last week. Didn't have a chrono and was waiting til i got one. I will get my notes and let you know.
Just loaded up my first batch of the 100 gr Cutting Edge MTH, I started at 54 gr RL-22 up to 57 gr. in .5 gr increments. I think I should be well below max pressure, want to start conservatively. I'll try to get out to the range next week, and I'll post the results.

58 was 3255 and 2x at 58.3 was both 3254, 58.6 was 3262 and 3267, 58.9 was 3291 3298 and only shot 1 at 59.2 was 3310. I thought it would go further and was first time I used the magentospeed. I see people getting higher speeds with the 131 gr ace. These were with 120 gr speer boattail and cci mag primers. Imr 7977 and norma brass

58 was 3255 and 2x at 58.3 was both 3254, 58.6 was 3262 and 3267, 58.9 was 3291 3298 and only shot 1 at 59.2 was 3310. I thought it would go further and was first time I used the magentospeed. I see people getting higher speeds with the 131 gr ace. These were with 120 gr speer boattail and cci mag primers. Imr 7977 and norma brass
Did you see any pressure signs? I'm guessing if you got those velocities with 120's I shouldn't have any trouble getting 3400 -3500 with 100's. What are the specs on your rifle, twist rate, length etc? Mines How 1500 SA with 25" Pac Nor #2 in 1:9 twist.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.