25-06AI load help

gabby

In a couple of weeks I'll be getting my new rifle back from the gunsmith. It's a 25-06AI with a 9 twist. I'll be shooting 130 gr wildcat bullets. I'd like to go with one of Hodgens extreme powders. Can anyone recomend a load or a starting place as far as powder and primer? Mike

Mike, I have not tested the Wildcat 130 grain ULD, but have tested and chronographed Richard's 130 grain bonded core FBHP.

I have noticed a big variation in chamber dimensions during the last 20 years that I have been using a 25/06AI, so safe loads can vary enormously from rifle to rifle.

For comparison purposes, the neck on my 25/06AI chamber measures .291, and fireformed Remington cases hold about 63.5 grains of a short cut extruded powder (eg: H1000)to the base of the neck, and Winchester cases hold about 1-1.5 grains more.

The two Hodgdon Extreme powders that I would recommend you try are H1000 (AR2217 in Oz), and HRetumbo (AR2225 in Oz). I would try H1000 first, and suggest starting at about 55.0 grains and work up. The maximum in my rifle using AR2217 was 61.0 grains.

If your rifle was throated specifically for the 130 grain ULD, then you may just be able to squeeze enough HRetumbo into the case to get to maximum pressure.

On the other hand if your rifle has been throated for a bullet like the 100 grain Nosler BT, then when using the Wildcat 130 grain ULD there would be significant amount projecting below the base of the case neck. This may cause a compressed load even when using H1000, so you may then have to consider using H4831sc.

Hope the above helps, and good luck with you 25/06AI. Brian.

Thanks Brian; I guess I should have stated the rifle is being throated for the Wildcat R.B.B.T. ULD 130 gr hp. Also it's a 25" barrel and I'll be useing Winchester brass. I have some Retumbo on hand but I think I'll get some H1000 and try it first.What primer would you recommend? Thanks again, Mike

Mike, After checking my records for my 25/06AI second rifle, I found that I used the Remington 91/2M for my testing with the 130 grain Wildcat FBHP and nearly all the other bullet weights tested. I used the Fed 215 in several tests with the 125 grain ULD.

I achieved excellent accuracy with the 130 grain FBHP with many groups under 0.5 moa, and several under .2moa, but I wouldn't claim that was due significantly to the use of the Rem 9.5M. I tend to use either the Rem 9.5M or Fed 215, as I have found the CCI 250M seems slightly larger and difficult to seat in several of my calibres.

About 15 years ago I did several primer comparison accuracy tests in my first 25/06AI using the Rem 9.5M, Fed 215, and CCI 250M, and noted little difference in accuracy. The smallest group was shot with the Fed 215, but the accuracy with the Rem 9.5M seemed slightly more consistent, and as at that time I had a good supply of Rem 9.5M, I stuck with those.

I suggest that you start with either the Fed 215 or Rem 9.5M and see what happens. Regards, Brian.

Brian; I'm headed to town tomorrow to get some H 1000 and Rem 9.5M primers. When I get things together I'll post some results. Many Thanks, Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.