.25-06 Options and suggestions for pigs and dogs

if your looking for good factory loads and a capable rifle/ scope combo. i would have to go with a 7mm-08. weatherby vanguard RC. top that with a millet TRS1 will mill dot reticle. and learn how to dial the scope for long shots.

assuming you can buy hornady light mag SST and you can get there advertised MV at 3000 fps youll have over 1000 ft-lbs of energy out to 675.

rifle and scope should keep you at or below your 1500$ mark.

I am a huge proponent of the .25-06. It is my current all around gun for deer sized game and smaller. When I first bought it, I ran the Hornady Light Mags with 117 BTSP and they shot well, but shortly after I switched to the Hornady Custom 117 SST. Started shooting much tighter groups and put the hammer down on deer. I've since began reloading and do believe it is worth it. If you are willing to spend $1500...I'd suggest buying a Savage, Put a Vortex Viper on it, and buy a single stage reloading press and kit. I've been loading Berger 115 VLDs and love the accuracy and performance. I've used some Nosler Ballistic Tips and they are absolutely devastating as well. For reliable accuracy at 500-600 metres I would suggest you start reloading if possible. Its very much worth it. By buying factory ammo you can't tailor the round to the rifle and you can't control the inconsistencies from lot to lot.
If you are sold on the .25-06 and only buying factory ammo, I would say try the Hornady line, and HSM ammunition (115gr Berger VLDs). Good luck!

A .25 cal 110 accubond at 3250 offers zero ballistic advantage over a 24cal 105 Berger at 3150. All you will accomplish is to wear barrels out even faster.

I just noticed this is your first post. Welcome!! Lots of great info here. Luck to ya!

Now we are concerned about wearing barrels out in a 25-06? LMAO Are you kidding me? This is getting ridiculous! I have an airsoft gun I can sell ya, they are pretty easy on barrels I have heard.

One thing I do agree on though is...WELCOME to the forum! Here you can get differing opinions and that can be more than valuable.

I think you guys often forget not everyone wants to shoot bullets that are to long to fit in a breech. The 110Acc is a very good bullet. In my 25-06 my favorite factory load was the 120gr Rem. Core-lokt bullets. Not sure their long range tables but I dropped a Pronghorn at 475yrds with them with ease.

I have a safe full of rifles, and several others that don't fit in. The rifle I reach for most often is a 25-06. It is a wonderful round. Yes, there are other great rounds, but this will dispatch dogs well beyond 500 yards ——*if your scope is up to it. If I want to reach further I would reach for a 7 MM Rem mag or a .270 WSM (which have almost identical ballistics). That's not to say I dislike the .260 Rem! If you reload, the .260 Rem may be a better choice than the 25-06 (followed by the 7 MM-08) because of great bullet selection and less wind drift.

As you already have the .243, I would be more likely to jump to a 7 MM Rem mag or a .270 WSM for long-distance work & keep the .243 for short-range work.

For long distance work on small to midsize game, you need magnification. I would want at least 20X on the top end, and at least a 50 MM objective to be able to hunt dawn & dusk. My preference would be to mount a Nightforce, but that would eat your entire budget. Those wanting a Nightforce that can't afford one often seem to buy a Vortex Viper. In any case, spend most of your money on optics. You can't shoot what you can't see.

With your limited budget you should be shopping for a used rifle. Accepting a few "battle scars" can save you hundreds over the price of a new rifle. You already know you can upgrade the barrel when it burns out.

Good luck & good shooting!

The difference is in the wind drift. The 6.5's will offer 50% less drift, and 50% more energy. They actually will have more drop at 500 by a few inches.

It's really a matter of prefence. Shoot what YOU like! Both will do what you want well.

The Accubonds will open at 500.

The 308 is used extensively by millitary, law enforcement, and in competition. Thus the availability of high quality ammo. Perhaps this doesn't carry across to your home.

Now we are concerned about wearing barrels out in a 25-06? LMAO Are you kidding me? This is getting ridiculous! I have an airsoft gun I can sell ya, they are pretty easy on barrels I have heard.

One thing I do agree on though is...WELCOME to the forum! Here you can get differing opinions and that can be more than valuable.

I think you guys often forget not everyone wants to shoot bullets that are to long to fit in a breech. The 110Acc is a very good bullet. In my 25-06 my favorite factory load was the 120gr Rem. Core-lokt bullets. Not sure their long range tables but I dropped a Pronghorn at 475yrds with them with ease.

The statement was made in a bunch of context you have missed or ignored. He said he's on his 3rd 243 barrel. He's clearly wearin' them out. I compared his 110 acccubond with a BC of .418 at 3250 to a 105 Berger with a BC of .493 at 3150.

In this case, the 110 accubond offers no external ballistic advantage. However, with 25% more powder through nearly the same bore the barrel will wear out faster.

I like the cool aid comment in your sig line.

The 243 is sufficient enough on smaller game to take to 500 meters. It seems like you have a bunch of experience with it so why not stick with it? Put on a quality piece of glass with a BDC type reticle or target turrets and keep shooting. If you start getting into shooting larger animals at the same distance then you might want to upgrade to a larger cartridge.

I've got to go for the 25-06 as well. It is my "go to" gun for everything from mid range (500-600 yds) coyotes, deer, antelope to 250yd. blackbear. Mine has taken all of the above at the above ranges or less with no problems. I used to shoot the 120gr. corlokt and had great success, then switched to the hornady custom 117gr. sst with better accuracy, now it get handloads with the 117sst or 115 berger vld. I have around 1000 rds. through my fluted bull barrel with no signs of accuracy degradation yet. It's just a **** fine cartridge with lots of options for ammo. I don't use extravagant glass on it either! I have a Burris FFII with the BDC reticle that has been great. You just have to shoot it, shoot it, and shoot it some more to learn your drops and +1 on the rangefinder! Just be sure to get quality glass. Quality doesn't have to mean $1000 despite what some around these parts will say.

I've got to go for the 25-06 as well. It is my "go to" gun for everything from mid range (500-600 yds) coyotes, deer, antelope to 250yd. blackbear. Mine has taken all of the above at the above ranges or less with no problems. I used to shoot the 120gr. corlokt and had great success, then switched to the hornady custom 117gr. sst with better accuracy, now it get handloads with the 117sst or 115 berger vld. I have around 1000 rds. through my fluted bull barrel with no signs of accuracy degradation yet. It's just a **** fine cartridge with lots of options for ammo. I don't use extravagant glass on it either! I have a Burris FFII with the BDC reticle that has been great. You just have to shoot it, shoot it, and shoot it some more to learn your drops and +1 on the rangefinder! Just be sure to get quality glass. Quality doesn't have to mean $1000 despite what some around these parts will say.
that's the point.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.