25-06 mods complete

Idgunner

This is my Savage 112 BVSS in 25-06. Had a hell of a time getting it to shoot. The original wood stock is pretty but did not fit me. Every time I pulled the trigger it would jump up to the right so bad that it knocked my hat off. Factory Remington 120gr CoreLok ammo shot a pattern of 2 inches at 100 yards. Terrible accuracy and not fun to shoot.

I looked for a replacement stock with a configuration similar to the Boyd's Pro-Varmint stocks that I have on my 223's and found this one at Choate. It is a Tactical Custom and it solved my problems. The butt plate is moved up so that top is in line with the bore and it is adjusted for proper LOP for me. The rifle now comes straight back and I can maintain the target in the scope after the shot. Ladder loads stacked four 85g Noslers at the upper end of the load string into a group of less than 0.4 inch at 3300fps.

My new long range chuck hammer. WooHoo!
Choate Custom Tactical.jpg

Last edited:
I've owned more than one 25-06 and love the caliber. I don't have one at the moment but I'm sure there'll be others. Loaded with 100+ grain bullets they drop a Whitetail faster than any caliber I've ever seen. Nothing but feet sticking up.
And as a varmint rifle, they are hard to beat. My favorite groundhog load is a 75 gr. Sierra JHP traveling at a little over 3800 fps. It's a laser on whistle pigs. The only problem I ever had with it was a farmer asked me not to bring it back again because it was so loud :)

Hey great looking rifle, did you try any of the nosler varmint ballistic 86 gr. I'm sure the would do some damage on some chucks. Just got some Berger vld hunters 115gr hope they shoot that good out of my rifle

To answer Nimrod (Semper Fi) and Savedbygrace, I've not been able to get any other bullets to shoot this well out of that rifle. I've tried 75g Horndays, 85gr Noslers and 100gr Speer with a couple of different powders. I run ladder loads to find velocity nodes and then adjust seating depth. No luck. Maybe I got lucky with the Bergers but the first test loads I cooked up shot bug holes. Need more VLDs and RL-26.

I got some CCI200 primers from a friend and scored 2 lbs of RL23. Happy to say that the rifle has connected with a chuck at 625 yards. Now I'm considering putting a muzzle brake on the barrel to tame muzzle jump some more.

I got some CCI200 primers from a friend and scored 2 lbs of RL23. Happy to say that the rifle has connected with a chuck at 625 yards. Now I'm considering putting a muzzle brake on the barrel to tame muzzle jump some more.
Don't know if this will help, but I picked up some 7828ssc. I thought it was going to be slow, as compared to 4831sc, which is what I've been using in my 25.06AI.
Long story short, the velocity is insane, and only with one grain over what is using with the 4831sc. Very accurate, very fast. Shooting 92 Hammer hunter, velocity was 3748, as, and sd single digits.
This thing is a laser on hogs. Nothing walks.

Attachments

• 20210412_145412.jpg
    20210412_145412.jpg
    707.1 KB · Views: 97
Don't know if this will help, but I picked up some 7828ssc. I thought it was going to be slow, as compared to 4831sc, which is what I've been using in my 25.06AI.
Long story short, the velocity is insane, and only with one grain over what is using with the 4831sc. Very accurate, very fast. Shooting 92 Hammer hunter, velocity was 3748, as, and sd single digits.
This thing is a laser on hogs. Nothing walks.
I appreciate knowing about the IMR7828ssc. Now I need to stay on the lookout for that as well.

Another update. I stripped the rifle down to the barreled action with the scope rail still attached and delivered it to my gunsmith yesterday for a muzzle threading job to prep for a muzzle brake. Put a cheapo brake on order through E-bay and it is supposed to be here next Monday or Tuesday. As soon as I get it I'm going to put it on paper at 200 yards and then take it out for chucks for a few days. If the brake works as well as I hope then I plan to order one of Erik Cortina's tuner brakes. fingers crossed.

Recent Posts