25-06/115g VLD's/400 yards

remingtonman_25_06

Finally was able to get some longer distance shooting in this morning. I was mainly concentrating on the 115g VLD's out of my 25-06. Previous testing at 100 yards with RL-22 showed mediocre results, however they were 5 shot groups. I went back to 3 shot groups as this is a hunting rifle. 50g RL-22 shot the best at 100 yards, so I decided to load a few there, and also at 50.5g. I am using Win brass, Fed 210 primer, and bullet seated right at the lands. I also loaded up 1 load that duplicated the 50g RL-22 load, but the only difference I did was a primer swap which happened to be the CCI 200. I figured that might or might not help, only way to know is to try!! I"m glad I did

I also shot the 300 WBY w/200g AB w/83g IMR-7828. I pulled the 1 shot which was low, and was not to happy with that. Might work on this load at 400 a little later. The group was 5.5".

50g RL-22 w/fed 210 shot right at 2 1/4" which is just barely over 1/2 MOA.

50.5g RL-22 w/fed 210 shot a whopping 8" which is just plain horrible for this distance, which is 2 MOA. Amazing what .5g powder difference can do.

50g RL-22 w/CCI 200 shot right at 1" which is just plain awesome. 1/4 MOA at 400 yards, I'll take it any day of the week. I just may use these 115g VLD's afterall!!!

I didn't cronograph this morning as I was just shooting for groups/accuracy. I'll definately be loading them up with the CCI 200 primer and checking velocity, however with the Fed 210 and 50g RL-22, there right at 3025fps. Curious to see how the velocity changes with just the primer swap as accuracy was cut in half!!!

20ghf9t.jpg

25tx0r8.jpg

Rem_Man Good Shooting!!! Like I was saying kinda crazy what a simple primer swap can do. I wonder how the WLR would do for you if the CCI's shoot that well.

If you don't mind my asking what elevation are you shooting at?

Thanks and Good Shooting,

Dave

Yah you just never know about those primers!!! Amazing what effect they can have on accuracy. Its actually a very good thing for me as, like I told you earlier, I just cant find Feds locally anymore. The only primers I can find are CCI and Wins. Never had a problem with Wins, just that Feds and CCI's have always worked out for me. So its kinda nice to see the accuracy I'm getting with the CCI's. I doubt I will even try the Wins with the accuracy I"m seeing so far with the CCI's.

I am at about 600-700 ASL. Kinda sucks because most times my BC"s aren't as quite as high.

Thanks for the compliments and bullets!!!

Aloha Rem_Man,

Yeah no worries 'bout the bullets glad to help out im just really glad that theyre shooting awseome for you as well. Its also great that they shoot like that with a more readily available pimer for you. Yeah still trying to find out about the primer issue ive heard conflicting things so im trying to work it out on my end if anything developes you'll be the first to know.

Its kinda funny but you and I are pretty much @ the same elevation and have the same BC issues :)

Take it easy and have fun getting some animals on the ground :)

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.