25-06 Good for 400 yd mulies?

The 25.06 will do the job if you will. I took a mule deer at 475 with mine. good rest lots of practice though. i am looking to extend it to 6-700 yards in the future. My Sendero seems to like the Barnes TSX or the Sierra game king.

Good luck in Wyoming. lots of good mulies out here.

One of my all time favorite cartridges. As is true of most any '06 based round,the 25 Otter is a joy to work with. All you need is a selection of bullets from the 110 Accu Bond on up to and including the 117 gr Sierra,and a can of RL 22. I've had great success with both the 4831 offerings and IMR 4350 as well. I've never had the occasion to shoot any game eyond 300 yds with it. I have however won my fair share of 400yd deer target shoots with mine. A bedded earlier BDL still on it's factory barrel. Though flat shooting and very pleasent to opperate,learn your drop chart. You still have to put it where it counts and even my beloved 25 Otter drops off a bit at 400.

What bbl. length are you guys running on your 25-06's? I am building one this year.Parts are at gunsmith.I think they are being aged before work begins:cool:

24" here. When I re-barrel the old girl I'm thinking about trying a 26" pipe just for kicks. If I don't like it I can always lop of a couple inches.

Yes the 25-06 is a great long range deer rifle. I shot an elk with mine at 408 yards using the 100 grain barnes tsx bullet. I highly reccomend this bullet.

Tell us more about that elk kill please.

Where did the bullet strike? How was the damage? Exit? Did the elk drop at the shot or stagger around a bit or???

Very cool that you pulled that off. I'm impressed!

Only shot two mule deer bucks with the 100 TSX, mv of 3340 fps. On the first there was no indication that the bullet expanded at all, but I can't complain about a dead deer. The other one showed dramatic expansion and tremendous damage to the heart & lungs. Both of them were instant drops.

Mostly out of curiosity I switched to the 115 Berger VLD after the second kill with the Barnes TSX and have also been impressed with it.

Elk.. Now that's impressive!

Guy

What bbl. length are you guys running on your 25-06's? I am building one this year.Parts are at gunsmith.I think they are being aged before work begins:cool:

I really like a 26" tube. This is what my current rifle has, a #6 Shilen SS select 10 twist.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts