245 Berger Help

Cackas2

Who has played around with these 245 Bergers? Im looking at running them in a 30-28 Nosler throated for the 215+ weight range. I ran the numbers and if they can reach 3000 they'll dominate over the 215 Hybrids I planned on running. Anyone with real world experience in any of the 30 magnums?

Who has played around with these 245 Bergers? Im looking at running them in a 30-28 Nosler throated for the 215+ weight range. I ran the numbers and if they can reach 3000 they'll dominate over the 215 Hybrids I planned on running. Anyone with real world experience in any of the 30 magnums?
Weve been testing them in the 30 Sherman Magnum and they are reaching 3000'+ with a 26" barrel!

Last edited:
30/28 has a donut formed in the neck shoulder junction. Without proper free bore you will have issues. Stick with 215's and H1000 with that combo.

Broz has put these to the test. Read his results here...

30/28 has a donut formed in the neck shoulder junction. Without proper free bore you will have issues. Stick with 215's and H1000 with that combo.
Have you played around with the 30/28 or just from what you have heard? I know there are issues when necking up as far as causing donuts but if it can be mitigated with the proper freebore. I have a 28 nosler that was throated for the 195's and the first 5" of the barrel is toast so Im looking at jumping up to a 30 cal when I rebarrel

I have had 2 30/28 Noslers. Great ground. Most important thing is getting with a smith who has experience with one. Alex Wheeler does and he did both mine. In all honesty, with ADG brass the gain isn't really necessary with going 30/28. Reaching the 3050-3090 node with 215's and H1000 is easily attained with 30 Nosler

Yes, officially 30 SM now
This has me thinking about changing directions. Is headstamped brass and dies available? Also any idea on hydraulic forming dies or is fireforming the easiest method? I just dont want to fry another barrel fire forming loads and doing workup.

This has me thinking about changing directions. Is headstamped brass and dies available? Also any idea on hydraulic forming dies or is fireforming the easiest method? I just dont want to fry another barrel fire forming loads and doing workup.
Everything including brass is in stock.
Fire forming can be done easily without bullets. Also, factory 300 PRC ammo shoots very well in the chamber as is!
There is a great fire forming video on my FB Group at Sherman Wildcat Cartridge group,
using shotgun powder
**we can add you as a member.
Its a very informative group for Sherman shooters

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts