243AI for sale and a question

mightyman

Guys
I have a good friend that had a stroke and is selling his custom 243AI and all his reloading equipment for a very good price.
I am in the process of getting all the info on the gun and equipment with pictures so I can post an informative ad for him

However I have been told 2 different answers to the following question:

"Can you shoot factory loads of 243 in the 243AI safely and accurately"

Some say no problem while others say you should not shoot factory 243 in a 243 AI.

I would like the experts here to weigh in
Thanks
Mighty man

To all here is the 243 AI for sale
Shilen match grade
Sako action
McMillan stock
Tasco scope
All reloading supplies inc press, scale, gauge, kit and more
He wants $1,700 for all you see
Gun was custom made by Clarence Hammond's of Pa

Pm for more info
Less than 200 rounds through tube

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 144
IF, the rifle was chambered properly, it is the only way to get 243AI brass. There should be a slight "crush fit" when closing the bolt on a factory round. I have shot some incredible groups while fire forming 22-250AI brass from factory ammo.

No problem in shooting 243 factory ammo in a chamber for 243AI. Dont know for sure if its the ONLY way to make AI ammo, but its the fastest and safest way

No problem in shooting 243 factory ammo in a chamber for 243AI. Dont know for sure if its the ONLY way to make AI ammo, but its the fastest and safest way
You're right, it's not the only way, there's also cream of wheat fire-forming, or Hornady custom shop hydraulic dies. But to get a final forming of the shoulder and case, you will have to fire-form it with a full-powered load.

However, you CAN shoot factory ammo in it. But you run the risk of cracking necks and shoulders. Which is why for all my Ackleys, I load a 2/3 powered load for my initial forming load. Then I run a full-powered load for my 2nd firing to clean up and sharpen the shoulder angles.

Thanks for the input.
So as I understand it if someone wants to buy this setup but does not reload and wants to shoot factory 243s in it it is fine and safe and they simply can discard the shells if they choose.
Accuracy should be fine?
Thanks
If true it opens his setup to more buyers perhaps
Mightyman

Thanks for the input.
So as I understand it if someone wants to buy this setup but does not reload and wants to shoot factory 243s in it it is fine and safe and they simply can discard the shells if they choose.
Accuracy should be fine?
Thanks
If true it opens his setup to more buyers perhaps
Mightyman

You should be able to, and it should be pretty accurate, too...Provided the headspacing was set properly.

Nope sold this gun a year ago... got two more Clarence hammonds rifles
Left hand... but not selling....
They blow any gun twice the price away... just at the range wiith one of his 243 customs
Sad story for the others with $4600+ Rifles... great gunmakers

I'm sure other shoot great... but his rifles are something of a work of art for half the price

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.