243 Winchester seating die for 243 ackley.

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Ehgbyf, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Ehgbyf

Ehgbyf Member

I picked up a competition seating die from a friend that is for a 243 winchester. Will this die work for a 243 ackley?

I would thing the seating dies could be used in either caliber.

Thanks

2. Jaxdialation

Jaxdialation Well-Known Member

I bet it will, but I bought the AI seating die for my 243

3. B23

B23 Well-Known Member

If it's a, Redding, Competition seating die have the sleeve reamed with a 243 ackley improved reamer and it'll now be a 243 ack imp Comp seating die but with the body taper being different, bigger, on your 243 ackley, I don't think the case will go up inside the die far enough to seat the bullet properly and, depending on how much clearance you have, you may get a stuck case.

I have a couple Redding Comp seater dies I had reamed to match my "improved" case because Redding only made a comp seater for the standard, non improved, version of what I have.

4. tbrice23

tbrice23 Well-Known Member

Lee seating and collet neck dies work on the ackley versions of the parent cartridges.

5. Dgd6mm

Dgd6mm Well-Known Member

+1 and make accurate ammo.

6. barefooter56

barefooter56 Well-Known Member

egfbyh,
    A standard 243 seating die sleeve or even a standard 243 seating die will NOT work with the Ackley shoulder. If its a Redding Competition or a Forster seating die you can have the sleeve reamed by the factory or by a gunsmith. Standard seating dies with no sleeves are hardened and you would have to talk to the manufacturer about having them modified. Hope this helps!