243 Winchester seating die for 243 ackley.

Ehgbyf

I picked up a competition seating die from a friend that is for a 243 winchester. Will this die work for a 243 ackley?

I would thing the seating dies could be used in either caliber.

Thanks

B23

If it's a, Redding, Competition seating die have the sleeve reamed with a 243 ackley improved reamer and it'll now be a 243 ack imp Comp seating die but with the body taper being different, bigger, on your 243 ackley, I don't think the case will go up inside the die far enough to seat the bullet properly and, depending on how much clearance you have, you may get a stuck case.

I have a couple Redding Comp seater dies I had reamed to match my "improved" case because Redding only made a comp seater for the standard, non improved, version of what I have.

barefooter56

I picked up a competition seating die from a friend that is for a 243 winchester. Will this die work for a 243 ackley?

I would thing the seating dies could be used in either caliber.

Thanks
egfbyh,
A standard 243 seating die sleeve or even a standard 243 seating die will NOT work with the Ackley shoulder. If its a Redding Competition or a Forster seating die you can have the sleeve reamed by the factory or by a gunsmith. Standard seating dies with no sleeves are hardened and you would have to talk to the manufacturer about having them modified. Hope this helps!