243 Winchester seating die for 243 ackley.

Ehgbyf

I picked up a competition seating die from a friend that is for a 243 winchester. Will this die work for a 243 ackley?

I would thing the seating dies could be used in either caliber.

Thanks

If it's a, Redding, Competition seating die have the sleeve reamed with a 243 ackley improved reamer and it'll now be a 243 ack imp Comp seating die but with the body taper being different, bigger, on your 243 ackley, I don't think the case will go up inside the die far enough to seat the bullet properly and, depending on how much clearance you have, you may get a stuck case.

I have a couple Redding Comp seater dies I had reamed to match my "improved" case because Redding only made a comp seater for the standard, non improved, version of what I have.

I picked up a competition seating die from a friend that is for a 243 winchester. Will this die work for a 243 ackley?

I would thing the seating dies could be used in either caliber.

Thanks
egfbyh,
A standard 243 seating die sleeve or even a standard 243 seating die will NOT work with the Ackley shoulder. If its a Redding Competition or a Forster seating die you can have the sleeve reamed by the factory or by a gunsmith. Standard seating dies with no sleeves are hardened and you would have to talk to the manufacturer about having them modified. Hope this helps!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.