243 or 243 AI

My 243AI built on a Sako 479 action & Douglas 1:10 barrel delivers 85 gr. Sierra HPBT with 46.0 gr. IMR4350 at 3,345 fps into half inch groups if I do my part. The downside of such loads in either 243 Win or 243 AI is short barrel life due to the short necks of both. A recently obtained borescope shows the first half inch of the throat looking like alligator skin after fewer than 1,000 rounds. Accuracy remains acceptable for my needs, however, so I'll keep shooting it until accuracy degrades.

I`m getting ready to rebarrel my older 243 and I am either going back with a McGowan 243 or 243 AI. Is the Ackley that much better than the standard 243?
I've owned a few Ackley improved caliber
The only two I got really good results was the 257 roberts and the 6.5 Swede
Both could be run at the same level as the bigger cartridge they had above them
(25-06 6.5 prc )
I can say I probably won't own another Ackley
For the simple reason of ammo availability of the bigger cartridges

The .243 accuracy is there, choose the right twist and barrel length and do a load development. I shoot a A10, with a 1-8 twist rate and 22" barrel, this gun is tuned with all the best parts and shoots sub MOA and works well for me in F class competition At 600 yards.
Aces!!

I`m getting ready to rebarrel my older 243 and I am either going back with a McGowan 243 or 243 AI. Is the Ackley that much better than the standard 243?
I have heard that the AI is better. The draw back is to take full advantage of the AI 243 you have to reload once fired brass from your rifle. You will go through your barrel twice as fast. You will see about a 50 FPS in velocity gain. Personally I don't think it's worth it. I don't hear of it much anymore. I think it was a 1980s and 1990s thing, but I'm not sure. I do have 1 friends dad has a 243 AI that he said he shot in 600 yards competitions. I don't know much about it other than it has a 25" Shilen bull barrel.

I am an Ackley Improved fan all the way- I have two 243 AI, one Sako and one Stiller Predator action, they both have Schneider barrels with 1x7.5 twist polygonal cut rifling and they shoot lots of different bullets well (103 Hornady ELDX - Nosler 90 grain Accubonds amongst many others). The biggest advantage is using heavier bullets with the fast twist and lack of case stretch after fire forming.

I have both 243 and 243 AI rifles. Among others. Any round based on the 308 case doesnt gain much when AI'ed. But you'll trim your brass less. Basically the more taper the parent case has, the more gain you get from improving it.

Started with surplus Mausers as first cf rifles so used to long rifles. I like it and every body who sees it asks what is it and why so long? Built on commercial Mauser action with Boyds thumbhole stock & old Redfield scope. Shoots as good or better than I can. Fast twist with long barrel for use with over 100gr, bullets.

I see no reason not to go to the ackley. It's been on my list for a

Started with surplus Mausers as first cf rifles so used to long rifles. I like it and every body who sees it asks what is it and why so long? Built on commercial Mauser action with Boyds thumbhole stock & old Redfield scope. Shoots as good or better than I can. Fast twist with long barrel for use with over 100gr, bullets.
I've got a 243 ai barrel on order. 7.5 twist, 26 " heavy sporter . Going to go on a savage. Hope it gets here soon

My shallow thoughts. Just put a 6.5 CM pipe on it and call it macaroni. Really, how much do you want to spend on ammo that's not on the shelf when ammo comes back. Go for Hornady Precision Hunter and you'll never reload for that rifle again.

Went with 28" cause it's said to be fastest with 240. Anything shorter and you give up speed, anything over and you don't get much more velocity.
Makes me wonder what the difference in 26 vs 28 barrels with 240 bee? I would of thought that it would burn clean by 26 inches. I mean its not a monster case capacity. But for the reloader or even factory ammo what if any increase would be possible till diminishing returns?

For me its easy....243. Just as accurate, brass everywhere, ammo everywhere, and if I want more velocity there are many better 6mm's around.