.243 AI

Big_Tex22

Going to rebarrel my .243 and was thinking heavily about an ackley improved .243.
Does anyone that shoots this have any load/chrono info on this round before I go for it?

I would definately go for it if thats what you want. What will be the purpose?? For longer range shooting, most go with a 1 in 8 or 9 twist to shoot the heavier 105-115g bullets. They do a lot better past 500 yards then a 55g zipping along at 4300fps. Should reliably be a 1K getter for coyotes,chucks,pdogs, and probly would work on antelope/deer out to 700 yards, maybe 800. I would love to own a 243 AI and shoot the 105amax or berger VLD. Good little round. You should get some good advice from people who actually have had hands on experience with this round. I'm going by all heresay and from what I read. Good luck!

I've had two and would definatly go the Ai rout , yo gain about 100fps in 24-26" barrel lengths but the case ife is WAY longer. Most of my load data got washed away in a huricane but I still have a couple books that arn't totaly ruined I dig them up.
I would definatly recomend the 1-8 twist unless you wanting to shoot light varmint bullets only.

What is it your gonna be asking of this rig?

I would definitely go with a 1-8 twist barrel in the 243AI. I am shooting the 105gr berger at 3250 out of a 27.5" barrel. I have shot antelope out to 460 yds. Instant bang-flop....I have shot out to around 1300 yds with it now, and have had great luck with it. I even built the "little woman" one to hunt with.

Mine
243AI.jpg

Her's
Riflecatalog005.jpg

I have a 1-9 twist and it shoots the 105 amax ans 107 very well. Mine is a 30" Hart Max HV profile benchgun however the extra barrel length is really not needed. I can drive the 105 class bullets to 3450fps but they group better around 3200fps. Go with a 26-28 tube for a hunting gun your not giving up much. Use Lapua brass to save time prepping brass. Also forget the three groove barrels they will blow up the vld thin jacket bullets. Mine shoots the light bullets well also but after you shoot the sleek vlds you will never go back!

Lance

I have 3 groove Lilja's on both of our rifles...so far, we have blown up any Bergers. I have driven them to just over 3300 with my rifle and not had any problems. I don't think that I would want to go any more. The A-max's definitely don't survive over about 3250. I will say that the VLD's seem to shoot the best around 3200-3250.

Probably mainly a whitetail gun up to 500 yards. I've got a ton of 243 brass to use, but wanted to hunt whitetail with a little bigger than the 85's I'm shooting now. They do great but I would like a little more energy a little farther with the 100+ weights. With AI rounds if you neck size only do you need AI dies?

As far as 500+ I'm hoping the 300 RUM I'm getting together will cover my needs there!

Depending on what twist you get. I shoot a 75gr vmax with varget at 3800. Accuracy is excellent out to 400yds, but I have not shot it beyond that. Mine is a 24" 1in12 shilen.
DSC00768.jpg

OK, I went the other way. 1 in 14 twist for high velocity 55s with some very impressive groups. I figured that a .243AI with heavy bullets is, well, a 25-06! I've got one of those and it works great on deer and antelope. I varmint hunt with it for the most part, although, on a whim I loaded up some 87gr Barnes XLCs for it this year and dropped a goat with it. The low recoil and deadly accuracy makes it very fun to shoot. Get a gauge to check for case head separation in your fire formed cases, if you don't have everything just right, all that brass you've got will only be useful to the local recycling center!
Coyoter

Work up to .......

51.0g of R#25 or H1000 with the 105's, right at 3300 fps.

Remember, work up to these loads in your rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.