243 or 243 AI

Are you sure? Most the time when my friends bring back hogs to camp they are big ole girls.
Yes I'm sure. I could see the tusks so the pig looked huge lol. But the herd was mostly smaller pigs. Someone of our guard duty detail left a half eaten mre in the tent. Major violation.

243 is enough for most whitetail hunting, I have one for when my shoulder hurts and kids. Accurate. AI? The Col. did increase power on a lot of stock stuff. I just get calibers I can buy of possible.

I have a 9 twist standard 243 Ruger American and shoot the Gameking 100gr SBT and 95gr SST @ 3200 using RE 26. I've killed hogs to 650yd and WT's to 550yd with it often DRT, I see no reason to use the AI personally. A 243 with a can is just delightful to shoot. If I was rebarrelling I would go 8 or 7.5 twist to squeeze a few more yds out with a 108 berger or 103 ELDX.

I went .243 AI with the barrel that I recently ordered. Not for any increase in velocity, but for the sharper shoulder and my theory that loaded to the same performance a shallow shouldered case is harder on the throat than a sharp shouldered case. The flip side of that is that the sharp shouldered case is harder on the case. I'm OK with that. I've also seen is said by many different people that the AI doesn't need to be trimmed as often. That tells me that the case is more stable and is not moving around as much as the std. case.

Though you may get a single digit performance improvement, the real value in a Ackley-ing a 243 / 7-08 / 308 is for the improved brass life, reduced trimming, and the "yippie" of saying that you have an Ackley cartridge.
Im too lazy to dig it out, but you can find Bob Jourdan's article where he goes over the performance benefits of Ackley-ing different cartridges.
I have a 6.5 Swede Ackley, and it does have noticeably more oomph than the standard Swede, where Jourdan calculated a 13% performance improvement. Also have a 6mm Rem Ackley in the final stages of build. At a 1:8 twist, I did that one for brass life.
I second brass life.

The .243 accuracy is there, choose the right twist and barrel length and do a load development. I shoot a A10, with a 1-8 twist rate and 22" barrel, this gun is tuned with all the best parts and shoots sub MOA and works well for me in F class competition At 600 yards.

I`m getting ready to rebarrel my older 243 and I am either going back with a McGowan 243 or 243 AI. Is the Ackley that much better than the standard 243?
I think so, besides you can still use the .243 Win in the gun in a pinch, which is always a nice option. Good luck, cheers

I had a spare 9.25 twist 243 Win barrel reamed to essentially a 30˚ AI using a 6mm Creedmoor reamer. The thought is a 30˚ shoulder will feed a little better than the 40˚ shoulder.

It worked with 95 and 100 grain Hornady. Probably not doing solid copper unless they are lighter, like 80 Hammer's :).

243 is enough for most whitetail hunting, I have one for when my shoulder hurts and kids. Accurate. AI? The Col. did increase power on a lot of stock stuff. I just get calibers I can buy of possible.
Off the shelf 243 can be fired in AI chambers. True of most or all calibers. Usually a 100 - 150 fps velocity loss with no accuracy change. Primary way of obtaining AI cases.

AI formed case in an AI chamber typically results in about the same velocity gain (100 - 150 fps) or even less. True advantage is reduced case trimming over multiple firings cuz of the steeper shoulder.