243 ladder test h4350 help

Ok. L Sherm, Remingtonman, fisherman; I'm sure the OP is looking for some education here, and now you guys have completely piqued my curiosity with your apparent agreement. Unless I've misunderstood some of your posts.

Will you please explain how the OP's 4,5,6 presents a potentially more accurate (down range) CW / velocity node than 7,8? I just don't see it being likely to work out. All ears here...
Generally speaking, when you are looking for the optimum charge weight, you are looking to find a range of charge weight where there is very little verticle spread between your bullets without being worried about horizontal spread which is much more influenced by wind etc. This is why you perform a ladder test, so you can see where the bullet impacts begin to group along the same vertical plane. After that, you adjust seating depth to find the tightest horizontal, then go back and tweak the charge and any other things to achieve best tune. General rule of thumb is to isolate individual aspects of your tune and only change one thing at a time so you can actually know what your changes are accomplishing, otherwise it gets very confusing and frustrating. And to more directly address your question, you have three shots all on the same vertical plane even though they have a lot of horizontal. At this point, we don't know if the wind was all over the place, if the shooting techniques cause left to right etc. But since those three shots came from a broad charge weight and all hit on same vertical plane, that would certainly be a place to explore for accuracy.

Last edited:
Ok. L Sherm, Remingtonman, fisherman; I'm sure the OP is looking for some education here, and now you guys have completely piqued my curiosity with your apparent agreement. Unless I've misunderstood some of your posts.

Will you please explain how the OP's 4,5,6 presents a potentially more accurate (down range) CW / velocity node than 7,8? I just don't see it being likely to work out. All ears here...

The reason I would choose 4,5,6 is due to width (or robustness) of the node, likely leading to a more forgiving node that would withstand wider environmental changes like temperature, altitude, etc.

Note: I would much rather have an acceptably accurate node (i.e. 0.5-0.6 MOA) that is more robust than another one that shrinks an additional 0.1-.2 MOA that is not as robust. But that's just me.

Help me understand what's going on here. I've read we're people says not to shoot paper with a ladder test. But if not an I went by the velocity of the 2 different ones that was close I wouldn't be grouping. So help me understand. It was in the 90s when I shot this. I'm not a seasoned reloader but have been doing it a few years.

Attachments

• E33F67C2-683B-4FAC-8DC3-4991D942EB74.jpeg
    E33F67C2-683B-4FAC-8DC3-4991D942EB74.jpeg
    365.6 KB · Views: 100
  • FE9B83D2-C7A2-46F7-92A0-E12C1B4A7AA4.jpeg
    FE9B83D2-C7A2-46F7-92A0-E12C1B4A7AA4.jpeg
    186.7 KB · Views: 86
41 and 41.5 grains would give the most accurate load. If I was a target shooter that's the 2 loads I would use. I loaded 5 rounds each of them and 5 rounds of the 42.5 grains also just for kicks. I seated them 10 thousands off the lands and this is what I got.

Attachments

• C23287CA-7635-41F8-8FAE-7F8C313B62BD.jpeg
    C23287CA-7635-41F8-8FAE-7F8C313B62BD.jpeg
    271.3 KB · Views: 101
  • 828E458E-5489-4D4C-9BEF-BF13D5DD8C28.jpeg
    828E458E-5489-4D4C-9BEF-BF13D5DD8C28.jpeg
    279.1 KB · Views: 103
  • 85B15D9B-9E6D-4F72-B9A6-E8D3C59999AC.jpeg
    85B15D9B-9E6D-4F72-B9A6-E8D3C59999AC.jpeg
    298.1 KB · Views: 92
41 and 41.5 grains would give the most accurate load. If I was a target shooter that's the 2 loads I would use. I loaded 5 rounds each of them and 5 rounds of the 42.5 grains also just for kicks. I seated them 10 thousands off the lands and this is what I got. I don't even use a Chronograph. The purpose of a ladder test is to eliminate barrel whip. It's Not to find a node. You can find a node with a chronograph but it won't help in any way with barrel whip.

Hey guys I've read every word here because I wanted to know about how to do a ladder test!! Have never shot one at all. I plan to give it a go in the near future! This makes me wonder about my method of load development! I must be very lucky!! This was one of the most informative threads I've read here. Good work guys! Thanks Tribb

Hey guys I've read every word here because I wanted to know about how to do a ladder test!! Have never shot one at all. I plan to give it a go in the near future! This makes me wonder about my method of load development! I must be very lucky!! This was one of the most informative threads I've read here. Good work guys! Thanks Tribb
@tribb you should not be afraid to do one. Start your own post with your results and be assured we will all pile on to give you suggestions and help you read it.

TIp: the more data the better—written directly on the target next to each bullet hole, to make it easier for folks to read and provide input.

Help me understand what's going on here. I've read we're people says not to shoot paper with a ladder test. But if not an I went by the velocity of the 2 different ones that was close I wouldn't be grouping. So help me understand. It was in the 90s when I shot this. I'm not a seasoned reloader but have been doing it a few years.
Your ladder test should look something like this. I allow my barrel to cool after each shot. Yes it takes longer but your data is much better. I fire one round then walk down to my target and mark what charge the bullet was. I do this after each shot. It keeps the barrel cool. Just increase by half grain increments in this stage.

Attachments

• D036620F-6876-44A3-876A-37D177EEF38E.jpeg
    D036620F-6876-44A3-876A-37D177EEF38E.jpeg
    186.7 KB · Views: 70
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.