243 winchester ladder test results - need some help

mgrunloh

I'm still fairly new to this and was looking for some advice as to which of the below loads you guys would go with?

Would you choose load 5, 6, or 8. None of the groups were fabulous, however it was quite windy, but these 3 also stood out as good.

I was thrilled with the load 8 standard deviation of 2.3 and a 6fps extreme spread, but the 5-6 "node" sure does have some promise with low s.d. and e.s. between the 2.

Browning Xbolt 243win load data.PNG
Browning Xbolt 243win load data graph1.PNG
Browning Xbolt 243win load data graph2.PNG

Load 8 looks good, but seems to be a narrow band (velocity is climbing). Loads 6&7 seem to be in a flat spot. Your last velocity in load 7 seems abnormally low for yhe string. I'd shoot that again and possibly try the center of the two. Should be forgiving. 5 shots gives a good base, but 25-50 will show much more.

What's your group data like? I don't base my workups solely on velocity.
I don't like to pick narrow bands of data. They are susceptible to small changes. Your wider band of "good" would be near 42.2.
Pick a narrower band to retest around and watch what your grouping does and try to correlate it to the velocity data. I had a .243 that shot with an ES of 25 and always grouped better than the the 0.5 grain higher load that had half that ES.

That's pretty impressive with Win 760. I didn't know it would drop numbers like that. I've never had good luck with it but hadn't tried it in 243