243 ackly

My first ever rifle "build" was an old savage 110e my dad gave me. Beat up old ugly gun that shot bugholes. I unscrewed the barrel and rented a ai reamer and 6mm throater and turned both by hand with a t handle. I dont remember the load I used but it was 7828/87gr max and I shot the life out of that barrel in 3 summer's of groundhog hunting with the same couple dozen pieces of brass, shot a couple dozen times each. Accurate Magpro was crazy fast but never got the accuracy from it and I had a 30lb keg of 7828 (wish I'd bought 20 kegs now. Think I paid 20 bucks for that bucket of powder!)

If it's just a hunting gun u will shoot a few times a year, dont bother with the ackley, but if u want to shoot a lot, do it. On calm days, it's right up there with most of the long range boomers that guys on here shoot, just for smaller game. Cheaper too. And very little recoil.

Last edited:
243 is a great round, one stroke through the die and 308 is 243, unlimited supply or you can buy some cpu 243 brass. Does not matter what cartridge the 6mm bullet comes from: what kind of bullet and how fast it is going when it hits the target is the only important thing. That is true of all from 222 to 458 "what bullet and how fast" AT THE TARGET.

As I've stated here before, I have 3 Ackley's and 2 Gibbs and they all shoot great. Reloading is much easier due to the lack of trimming needed on a regular basis. And… for reasons known only to the shootings gods, I have never had any feeding problems that I've heard others describe. Maybe I'm just the lucky one. But if one likes to play with already existing guns to get the most out of them, it's a way to do it. Just saying… And what you get when you do it is a really great looking cartridge.

The 243AI is a great round and game performance is very similar to the 6mmRem. Use a faster twist, 1/9 or 1/8, and it will serve well using the heavy for caliber bullets for those longer shots. The change in shoulder angle can, in some cases, nearly double the throat life vs standard 243, reduces to near eliminates routine trimming, and in my experience, give slightly better accuracy.

Fireforming is no real issue, and after the COW method or and appropriate pistol powder charge under a varmint bullet, the reduced to eliminated need for future case prep will save much time and effort.

There are several great loads for the 243AI, and a couple have already been mentioned. I have had good hunting success with the 105AMAX and 105Berger, and I have a lot of the newer 103/108ELD's. However due to a remaining large quantity of the 105AMAX, I have not shot any medium game with those yet.

Quite a few guys have used the 243AI on the 1,000yd BR line, and it has been a very good performer.

any one useing this round for deer.looking for imfo on this .a buddy is thinking of building one.
Yes. Mine has a 1:8" twist barrel and loves the 105gr Lapua Scenar-L over RETUMBO for whitetail deer and feral pigs.
I have two other .243Win rifles, both with 1:8" twist barrels and they love the same bullet, too.
The biggest advantage I have found to the .243AI is much longer brass life and almost no trimming.
Some folks will tell you that it will duplicate the 6mm Rem, but it won't quite get there unless you start pushing some crazy pressures.
I encourage your buddy to build it. I don't think he will be disappointed!
Ed

.243AI gotta be good: Ackley had good ideas! For economy the 308 to 243 (.020 short so no trimming for the life of the case). Throw away and resize more as needed. I use Dextron transmission fluid for sizing: cheap -- a quart will last a lifetime.

243ai is a cool looking round. I wish it would be a production round. I have burnt up a few barrels shooting different 6mm rounds. And the 6creedmoor is one of my favorites!!

Yes. Mine has a 1:8" twist barrel and loves the 105gr Lapua Scenar-L over RETUMBO for whitetail deer and feral pigs.
I have two other .243Win rifles, both with 1:8" twist barrels and they love the same bullet, too.
The biggest advantage I have found to the .243AI is much longer brass life and almost no trimming.
Some folks will tell you that it will duplicate the 6mm Rem, but it won't quite get there unless you start pushing some crazy pressures.
I encourage your buddy to build it. I don't think he will be disappointed!
Ed
My 243 ai barrel is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. Using a savage that was a 6.5 Creedmoor. 26" 7.5 twist. Got a 243 already so I have components. Got some 105 a max and 112 barnes match pluss along of 100 gr bullets, so hopeit shoots.

1642101007244.png

You may enjoy this article.

View attachment 330172

You may enjoy this article.
A younger George Gardner is in that article too. An oldie but goodie!

I'll throw something different in this group. I have a 6 mm CM. CM stands for competition match. So I have a 6 mm competition match. It's shoulders are blown out to almost an Ackley...but not quite as far. I get great loads during load development and using lapua brass , I so far have 10 loadings on mine. I use RL26 and H1000 using a 1:7.5 twist I get 3200 on a 107gr SMK with no pressure signs year round. In a pinch I can still fire a 243, but with longer bullets.

Last edited:
I'll throw something different in this group. I have a 6 mm CM. CM stands for competition match. So I have a 6 mm competition match. It's shoulders are blown out to almost an Ackley...but not quite as far. I get great loads during load development and using lapua brass , I so far have 10 loadings on mine. I use RL26 and H1000 using a 1:7.5 twist I get 3200 on a 107gr SMK with no pressure signs year round. In a pinch I can still fire a 243, but with longer bullets.
Sounds like a 243AI 30-35 degree? All my AI's run longer throats for higher BC bullets and max case capacity

You can fire .243win in a 6mm creed