243 ackly

I have not used an .243 Ackley, but have lots of experience with the stock .243 and 6mmRem.

The .243 Ackley will be in the 6mmRem territory for velocity.

Your friend will be pleased

can you descibe your rifles.my buddy is leanimg toward a numer 3 24 inch barrel on a 700 short action...

My 243 Ackley is a Stiller Precision Predator Action with a 26" #5 Contour Lila fluted barrel and McMillan stock. There are a lot of options out there in the 6mm category now compared to when I built mine. However, it is hard to beat the performance of the Ackley and you have a lot of options for making brass if needed. One added bonus is you can always shoot factory .243 ammo in a pinch. My fire form loads are super accurate and have been used on a lot of prairie dogs. I have 6 or 7 reloads on Lapua Brass and have never had to even trim.

I would go 6 creed if starting from scratch. Fireforming is not great, especially these days of limited components. 6mm creedmoor is a superior design.

I would go 6 creed if starting from scratch. Fireforming is not great, especially these days of limited components. 6mm creedmoor is a superior design.
A lot can be learned while fire forming that works towards load development and not to mention, barrel break in. Which is considered 100 rounds.

That's a lot of brass. That much Lapua brass would be last a long time all for the cost of way less than a pound of powder and a sleeve of primers.

I'm not a creedmoor guy, if I didn't already shoot a 243 and I was going to build a 6mm the creedmoor is pretty much a no brainer. I built a 8 twist 243 in 2007 and it has been my most used rifle for deer, antelope, and coyotes ever since. After about 1300 rounds through it, I recently decided it was time to have another one put together. I hired J. Ackerman in Dickinson to build one as close to the original 2007 rifle as I could get. They are both 8 twist 243's built on sako L579 actions. I really like how the stocks fit me on these so purchasing an after market stock isn't needed. The magazine box on a 243 is a little short for heavy bullets, that's why I say a 6 creedmoor would be better if starting from scratch. I've had enough problems with ackley cartridges not feeding to realize that I don't need anything more to do with them(6mm Remington ackley excluded) and loosing ackley brass when shooting at coyotes sucks.