240 wby

Thank you for the replies. Seems a lot of guys are favoring 6mm/06. What is a good way to get into one? I don't know of any factory rifles in that. I also don't know any one that builds rifles. Just not sure how to go about it… I am in Texas panhandle if that helps.

I didn't catch whether you're a reloader or a factory ammo guy?

Thats way over my head!! However, I do see the sense in necking down 25-06 Brass to make a 6mm/06. That seems like an easier way to get a hot Long Range 6mm round. As fast as the 340 Wby. Mag. Still suggest a faster (8) twist 26 inch barrel for bullets 100 grns and more. Get lots of brass and 4350!!

The 6mm/06 doesn't have the sharper shoulder angle of the other 2. Might have more capacity, but I'd bet that the 6mm/284 could keep up, and with less propellant. Several good sources for 6.5/284 brass these days. 6mm/284 die set is 1/2 the price of 6mm/06 die set (Redding).
No doubt, for the post was not meant to imply other options were not viable. Just one option that was cheaper and easy to acquire brass. Personally and as stated earlier, I prefer my 6mmAI's to the 6-06, for I never found the 6-06 to produce much, if any, over the 6mmAI and it had more throat erosion and used more powder to produce similar vels as the 6's.

Howdy all,

Looking at buying a 240 wby. I live in Texas panhandle. This is a place where long range is easy to come by. I like the flat trajectory of this round. Lots of shots 200-400yards or greater. Rifle choices in this caliber are limited. I will be using this gun on pronghorn antelope and coyotes and perhaps central Texas white tail. I purchased a Christensen arms mesa long range in 6.5 prc a year ago for this purpose but it is too heavy for hunting… great bench gun. So back to the drawing board.

What is the best rifle for 240 wby. Just buy a factory Accumark? Cooper timberline? Or a ?

I have never owned a custom rifle and I talked to a local builder and he just overwhelmed me with questions and would not teach me anything… Maybe he was not the right guy to talk to. Seems like for these prices of these higher end factory guns I could have a semi custom built? I am not very knowledgeable in this. I own some Winchester m70s and like the action but seems like most introductory customs are built on rem 700.

Any help or advice is appreciated.
Just pick up a Vanguard. Nice and light. Shoots well. Light barrel contour though.
Dave

Roy thought it needed the belt to sell. I have heard you can swage a belt on '06 brass and form .240 brass but don't know anyone who's actually tried it or know exactly how to go about it.
I've tried it with .270 Win brass but belt comes out too long thick or whatever. It's close but not close enough!

Dave

Give Jon Beanland a call. One of the best gunsmiths around, good prices and good turnaround times. He also takes the time to explain and answer questions plus he's in driving distance for you. Just google Beanland Custom Rifles to find his website and contact info. If Jon builds it, it will shoot!!!