225 winchester?

Railroader82

Does anyone have brass for the 225 win? Do you have a good recipe for it? Have any loaded ammo for it? I found a rifle chambered in 225 but won't buy it till I can find factory or handloaded or brass. I've got a Dillon press but I'd need to buy the dies and stuff.

Does anyone have brass for the 225 win? Do you have a good recipe for it? Have any loaded ammo for it? I found a rifle chambered in 225 but won't buy it till I can find factory or handloaded or brass. I've got a Dillon press but I'd need to buy the dies and stuff.

This cartridge is obsolete and has been replaced with the .22-250 even though both cartridges are very similar. My Uncle has one chambered in a 1965 Model 70 Varmint rifle and it use to be his primary varminter until it was pushed to the side and replaced with more modern shells. Dies and casings will be hard to find and most likely expensive. If you wanted to rechamber it, you would have to find a standard bolt face because the .225 Winchester is rimmed. May want to look for something elso, not so much better, but more popular.

It looks like dies can be had without too much trouble. They will cost about what dies for wildcat cartridges would cost.

Winchester still makes brass and ammo for the .225, but neither one appears to be available at the moment.

It won't be easy to feed a .225 Winchester. If you really want the rifle, you should negotiate the price accordingly, IMO.

Rim diameter is .473, meaning the bolt face is already correctly sized for "standard" cartridges if you want to convert the rifle to another chambering.

It looks like dies can be had without too much trouble. They will cost about what dies for wildcat cartridges would cost.

Winchester still makes brass and ammo for the .225, but neither one appears to be available at the moment.

It won't be easy to feed a .225 Winchester. If you really want the rifle, you should negotiate the price accordingly, IMO.

Rim diameter is .473, meaning the bolt face is already correctly sized for "standard" cartridges if you want to convert the rifle to another chambering.

Oops! My fault, should have done more research on it. Thought its rim diameter was an oddball for some reason.

Thanks guys! I appreciate the info. I really wish they would revive this cartridge. Is love to own this rifle. I guess if you could get the price down enough you could re barrel it , which you did mention. It's a model 70 with a USA redfield. I mean this Baby looks like a sweet heart!

It all depends on how in love your are with the rifle. If it suits your fancy enough and you are willing to be patient and vigilant in acquiring brass or ammo, then there is nothing wrong with going for it. If you do decide to take the plunge, my advice is to look far and wide for loaded ammo and brass. When you find some, be prepared to buy everything they have.

Thanks guys! I appreciate the info. I really wish they would revive this cartridge. Is love to own this rifle. I guess if you could get the price down enough you could re barrel it , which you did mention. It's a model 70 with a USA redfield. I mean this Baby looks like a sweet heart!

Same rifle and scope as my Uncles. Pretty cool coincidence haha.

Winchester makes a run of the 225 every now and then. Most I would say end up being made into a wildcat caliber. I have a T/C Contender 14" pistol barrel in 6mm-225 and had enough cases to do me. Many of the JDJ calibers for Contenders are based on the 225 case.

That's awesome! I had no idea JDJ used that as their parent case. I wonder if one could get brass through them?

I have a good supply of .225 new unfired cases by Winchester from the late 60's in 20 count white boxes. Price is $.95 per piece.

Make sure you find brass before you buy unless you can get it cheap enough to rebarrel. As hard as more common brass is to find. Finding semi-obsolete could be troublesome.

I used to have a '65 model 70 varmint rifle in .225, super accurate with factory ammo and handloads both. Many 100 yard 5 shot groups in the .3s with factory loads. Traded it off many years ago and it was probably the most accurate stock factory rifle I ever owned.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.