225 winchester?

I've been keeping my eye out for one of these to play around with for sometime now. However, if you watch the auctions, the prices for these guns have exploded. And it's still difficult to get brass for them.

I have recently started converting 30-30 Win to .225 win cases. The hardest part is using a lathe to change the rim diameter and thickness to the proper dimensions. I am using a micro lathe with toggle indicators, and the conversion is easy to do. the forming dies are available from Huntington thru RCBS for about $85. With 20 rounds going for about $60 from win when they are available, The cost of the equipment can be offset. If you use once fired, you might need to anneal the neck for the first try. I have been able to avoid this step, but will anneal after fire forming. After this necessary step, the reloading is the same as any other cal.
I havn't fired any yet because of health issues, but hope to soon. The forming charge should be reduced below max about 2 gr because of the lower case capacity. my rifle is a 1964 Win 74.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.