225 eldm

Joefrazell

Starting load development with the 225 eldm and h1000 cci250. Anyone have input on where to start from the lands. Thinking .040

Rifle is a 300 win mag with a 26" barrel. Tha ks

I would start 0.020 off and work back in 0.01 increments from like 0.020 off to 0.120 off. Either shoot 3 shot groups or shoot one or two shots at a target on grid paper and map your point of impacts. Pick a seating depth that has a wide node. Try and find two or three separate seating depths that are close together like .030, .040, .050 that all group well and have the same point of impact. This will provide a very forgiving seat length that doesn't have to be constantly adjusted to remain accurate.

Previously I would suggest starting at 0.010 off and working back and looking for the smallest group. Recent evidence supports that every bullet has a wide "seating depth node". It may shoot one hole at 0.010 off but shoot 1" groups when you're 0.015 off, so it's picky. If you find the bullet's sweet spot, it will shoot small groups with a 0.015+ wide margin in seating depth. Follow the first method I described to find the most forgiving seating depth node. I have not tested this for myself, but have heard this and have seen the solid evidence to back this up from a few very respectable people in the precision shooting community.

I would start 0.020 off and work back in 0.01 increments from like 0.020 off to 0.120 off. Either shoot 3 shot groups or shoot one or two shots at a target on grid paper and map your point of impacts. Pick a seating depth that has a wide node. Try and find two or three separate seating depths that are close together like .030, .040, .050 that all group well and have the same point of impact. This will provide a very forgiving seat length that doesn't have to be constantly adjusted to remain accurate.

Previously I would suggest starting at 0.010 off and working back and looking for the smallest group. Recent evidence supports that every bullet has a wide "seating depth node". It may shoot one hole at 0.010 off but shoot 1" groups when you're 0.015 off, so it's picky. If you find the bullet's sweet spot, it will shoot small groups with a 0.015+ wide margin in seating depth. Follow the first method I described to find the most forgiving seating depth node. I have not tested this for myself, but have heard this and have seen the solid evidence to back this up from a few very respectable people in the precision shooting community.
I'm going to second this method. Theres a couple of really good articles over on the Precision Rifle blog on this subject

Now, how would you pick a charge weight for this test?

Now, how would you pick a charge weight for this test?
The evidence shows that charge weight doesn't affect the seating depth node. So I would just start a few grains under max and do the seating depth test. Then when you find your seating depth, go back and work up your powder charge until you find a velocity node.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts